Versioning of course content

Versioning of course content

by Ajeet Kumar -
Number of replies: 3

Hi

I want to take care of versioning of course content. For example suppose I have created a Quiz inside a course. if I update that quiz, a new version should be created. and old version should be remains in database.

Regards

Ajeet

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ajeet Kumar

Re: Versioning of course content

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Is there a question in there?

Assuming you are wanting some advice about how to do this, I suggest that you look at using the Moodle backup system to automatically generate a backup (without user data) of each activity before you process the clicking of the 'update' button.

This will probably require extensive core code modification (quite aside from being very slow). In the case of quizzes, you'd probably also need to hack into the question editing code as well (which would get very messy).

An alternative would be to rewrite each of the activities you are interested in preserving history for and adding support for this into the code on a case-by-case basis (almost certainly unmaintainable when you upgrade Moodle, but might be a bit quicker than using backup).

In reply to Davo Smith

by Paul Wakelam -

Could you connect to an external repository and transfer the information from there ?

https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=25

In reply to Paul Wakelam

by Paul Wakelam -

Sorry I was not very clear 

We mainly use Scorm packages so we do our versioning external to Moodle using file names, but we are looking at using a repository.

I agree with doing backups through as well