Imported text center-justified in 1.5beta

Imported text center-justified in 1.5beta

by Brian Koontz -
Number of replies: 5
While importing courses, from 1.4.3+ to 1.5beta, I've noticed that most, if not all, of the textual information is center-justified.  Is there a workaround for this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Koontz

Re: Imported text center-justified in 1.5beta

by Jay Pfaffman -
THis happened to me too.  The best I've been able to do is select-all and then click center and then click left justify.  This is a drag.
In reply to Jay Pfaffman

by Jay Pfaffman -
I guess someone's a real fan of centering.   I edited  moodle/theme/standard/styles_layout.css line 102

.generalbox#intro{
 text-align:left;
}

It had been center, obviously.  This will save me from having to edit every single assignment in the course to make things not be centered.

I suppose that if this is a feature and not a bug I'll have to develop my own style.
In reply to Jay Pfaffman

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers
Jay, with your own theme you can design Moodle as you like it. Taste is never a bug wink

With Moodle 1.5 you can make a new theme with the "standard" theme as a base and change only the few or many lines as you want.

Good luck.
Urs
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Jay Pfaffman -
I agree that taste isn't a bug. I do think that having paragraphs of text is a very unusual taste. I have seen very few books or web sites that display paragraphs of text center justified. That's because it's very hard to read text that's formatted that way. It's therefore difficult for me to imagine that this change was done on purpose.

Taste aside, having stuff look one way in the editor and another way on the page when it's displayed normally is a bug. If we really believe that the vast majority of Moodle users want their previously left-justified text to start being center-justified because a style designer thinks that center-justified paragraphs of text are superior, then the editor should be modified accordingly.

I think these are pretty good arguments for changing the default styles to have paragraphs of text left-justified. The problem might be that some style that is left-justified isn't getting set when it's supposed to. Having the title center justified makes sense.
In reply to Jay Pfaffman

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I've taken this style out of the standard theme now (but I'll keep using it in my own themes because it generally looks good smile)