Assignment Notifications

Assignment Notifications

by Justin Reeve -
Number of replies: 5

Is there a way to restrict assignment notification emails only to the teachers within a student's group? I have two teachers teaching the same course, each with their own groups of students. But they're both receiving emails when any student posts a new assignment. I'd like it so if the student is assigned to a group, email notifications only goes to the teacher(s) within that same group.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justin Reeve

Re: Assignment Notifications

by ben reynolds -

So, your instructors are not in each other's groups?

If so, then you want to check the Groups setting for the course to make sure it is on. I also use Force group mode to yes because it overrides the group mode settings in every activity. That's all you need to do to keep emails going only to the appropriate teachers(s).

In reply to ben reynolds

by Davin Scampton -

Justin, could you post a confirmation that this works. I have had the same issue with staff complaining about the number of emails coming through when students submit and so far the only solution I was able to come up with was to enrol staff as students and then change their permissions in the individual resource or activity (assignment in this case). I tested a lot, but have a sneaky suspicion that I did not try adding tutors to the groups...

Any info would be most appreciated.

In reply to Davin Scampton

by ben reynolds -

Hi Davin,

It definitely works. You also have to remove a permission from the teacher role: Access all groups

You also may need to do Groupings for activities you do not want other groups to access at all.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to ben reynolds

by Davin Scampton -

Awesome stuff Ben, bit of a game changer for me, thank you.

In reply to Davin Scampton

by ben reynolds -

Yeah, Davin, it is. And other cool thing about the groups in the same course is that, if you need to move a student to a different group, all the student's stuff comes along.