Redirect loop?

Redirect loop?

by Kevin Burton -
Number of replies: 8

My installation seemed to hang after I saved the admin profile. I think the next page was the site properties (name, etc.) but since it seemed to hang I canceled out of that. Now when I bring up the page with Chrome I get an error message that there is a redirect loop. Anyway around this or should I just reinstall this time hoping the same thing doesn't occur? I am trying to install Moodle 2.6+ on a Windows 2008 server using PHP 5.4.12.

Attachment install.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Burton

Re: Redirect loop?

by Kevin Burton -

The blank page in the installation is ...user/editadvanced.php. Iseems to timeout because the page doesn't show anything and the only options from the browser is to refresh the page.

The only logs that I found were in the Apache access.log

127.0.0.1 - - [17/Dec/2013:10:20:03 -0600] "GET /moodle26/theme/yui_combo.php?2in3/2.9.0/build/yui2-skin-sam-treeview/assets/skins/sam/yui2-skin-sam-treeview-min.css HTTP/1.1" 200 921
127.0.0.1 - - [17/Dec/2013:10:20:03 -0600] "GET /moodle26/theme/yui_combo.php?2in3/2.9.0/build/yui2-yahoo/yui2-yahoo-min.js&2in3/2.9.0/build/yui2-dom/yui2-dom-min.js&2in3/2.9.0/build/yui2-event/yui2-event-min.js HTTP/1.1" 200 13388
127.0.0.1 - - [17/Dec/2013:10:20:03 -0600] "GET /moodle26/lib/javascript.php/1387296973/lib/form/form.js HTTP/1.1" 200 2017
127.0.0.1 - - [17/Dec/2013:10:21:22 -0600] "POST /moodle26/user/editadvanced.php HTTP/1.1" 200 -

In reply to Kevin Burton

by Hilde Creve -

I have exactly the same problem: have you found a solution yet? 

In reply to Hilde Creve

by Kevin Burton -

I have not found a solution. I ended up reinstalling Moodle. But that isn't really a solution.

In reply to Kevin Burton

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Clear local browser caches and cookies.

Got FireFox?  Try that and this ... localhost/admin/purgecaches.php directly in browser URL line ... no login required.

If redirect still appears, don't close browser, just erase from right to left up to /admin/ and hit enter.

One can also manually remove all the folders/files in

/moodle26data/cache/cachestore_file/default_application/

which is what the purgecaches.php file is supposed to do.  Those will rebuild as you access/click around moodle.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Kevin Burton -

Purgecaches.php put me into an infinite loop of purging caches. I broke out of that and tried to login to the main site I still recieved the redirect loop error. localhost/moodle26/admin also seemed to get into this redirect loop. Any idea as to the cause (as workarounds don't seem to be effective)? It seems that on installation it shows a blank page every time after I update the admin profile.

In reply to Ken Task

by Fred Riley -

I came across this thread via a search for the redirect error. Ken's suggestion sounds good but, on my localhost with XAMPP, doesn't work. Even just trying http://localhost/moodle/admin/ gets the redirect loop. Time to try commenting out the redirect in index.php - it may be crude, but if it works that's fine by me...

In reply to Kevin Burton

by jason everling -

As I posted before for someone else,

Open up moodle/admin/index.php in a text editor, find and comment out the following,

redirect("index.php?sessionstarted=1&lang=$CFG->lang");

So that it looks like

//redirect("index.php?sessionstarted=1&lang=$CFG->lang");

Thanks,

JASON

In reply to jason everling

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

But that doesn't really fix the problem.

First I would clear caches as has been described in this thread. Then I would check the MoodleData folder permissions.