Editing Main Menu Block in 1.5

Editing Main Menu Block in 1.5

by lisa wright -
Number of replies: 10
Hi,

Can't seem to edit the main menu block in the new 1.5 version.  If I remember correctly, in 1.4.4 I just turned editing on and added resources from the drop-down menu.   But with 1.5 there are no editing options - no drop-down, no hand with pencil icon.  I even tried adding a resource to the topics section and moving it to the main menu but no.  I am logged in as admin and I turned editing on.  Can someone tell me how to add resources to the main menu block in 1.5 please?

Thx
Average of ratings: -
In reply to lisa wright

Re: Editing Main Menu Block in 1.5

by John Papaioannou -
This is what the main menu block looks like in the site index for me (and what it should also be looking like for you). How is this screenshot different from what you see?

Jon

Attachment moodle_main.png
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Someone else had this problem, see bug 3299.   I don't know what causes it because it's not happening for me on any 1.5 site.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by John Papaioannou -
And Andrea had this as well!

I just rediscovered bug 2925, of which these are obviously duplicates. Andrea reports how he got it in working order again, however this has to do with *nix filesystem permissions. I 'll put it on my TODO list, but it would help greatly if you can give me shell at some playground server. Otherwise I 'll have to make arrangements which I 'd rather not.

by lisa wright -
Thanks for the responses.  I am also running Debian linux, and I changed my directorypermissions from 00777 to 02777 like outlined in bug 2925, but nothing changed.  I also tried 0750, because that was what the directorypermissions variable was set to under Moodle 1.4.4 when I was able to edit the Main Menu block, but that also made no change.   Any other suggestions?
In reply to lisa wright

by Audun Hauge -
I have the same problem, looking at the html it seems as if the mainmenue has a problem with class and id

The class for mainmenue

<div
class="sideblock">

The class for admin

<div class="block_admin sideblock" id="inst2">

The class for courselist

<div class="block_course_list sideblock" id="inst3">

Looking at html for moodle.org the mainmenue is:
<div class="block_site_main_menu sideblock" id="inst1">

In reply to Audun Hauge

by Audun Hauge -
I fiddled with the choices for how the front page should appear.
I originally had 'show arbitary html', switched to show news  ==>
the main menue became editable.
After this I could choose any display format and the main menu still works.
Strange..
In reply to Audun Hauge

by lisa wright -
Audun you are my hero. The boss was about to make me revert back to uPortal. Whew. Um, er, not that there's anything wrong with uPortal...

Anyway that worked for me too. I had the front page format set to list categories, switched it to show news, then back, and now all editing capablities are there regardless of the front page format.  Strange, indeed.
In reply to Audun Hauge

by John Papaioannou -
Audun, that was one great inspiration! big grin It put me on the right track regarding this bug. I now know what causes it, and I can confirm that your site will live happily ever after.

I 'm not quite sure how to go about resolving this bug though, but it will come eventually. Thanks! For reference, this is bug 2925.

by Lady 800cc -

That does the trick!  But I expect a real fix soon... smile

In reply to lisa wright

by John Papaioannou -
Bug 2925 is finally dead.

If you have version 2005061300 of the block, you should never get this problem again.

Cheers!
Jon