HTML showing and needing to be used when editing text

HTML showing and needing to be used when editing text

by Virginia Valles -
Number of replies: 3

One by one teachers have been coming to me and stating they cannot enter text onto their Moodle page because HTML is now showing whenever they bring up their text editor and they cannot interact with it unless they write in HTML.  This did not happen all at once and it has not happened to everyone at our school but it is affecting about a third of the teachers now.  Everything had been working fine up until this point and it seems to have just randomly started mid year.  We are on 1.8.  We hope to upgrade soon.

Why is the HTML there?

If we upgrade to 2.6 will it go away?  Is there another way to get it to go away?

When we do upgrade how long will it take to upgrade?  (hours, days, weeks?)  We have about forty courses with a total of 250 Moodle users.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Virginia Valles

Re: HTML showing and needing to be used when editing text

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You've several post which go back quite a ways and in a couple there is conflicting information ... check your version of Moodle. Are you on 1.8 or 1.9.9?

The HTML is there because the TinyMCE HTML editor failed to load in the browser.  What was entered before as HTML shows in the editor that's treating the item as text ... all text ... including the HTML.  What causes that could be multiple reasons - from browser being used (as you've mentioned in a previous post about Chrome vs FireFox) as well as the version of browser and/or network issues and/or Moodle server issues (php settings, DB table corruptions in need of repair, etc.)

Will X get fixed if one upgrades?   Well let's hope so, but this fact for sure ... all support for bug fixes as well as security fixes for version 1(.9) of Moodle ends this month.   The 1.9.9 is now 10 subversions behind - highest is 1.9.19+

If you are on 1.9.9, as reported before, then the move to version 2 of Moodle is really a 'march'/migration ... 1.9.9 to 1.9.19+ first step and highly recommend that be done via GIT, then to 2.2.x, and from there I'd advise going through them all -> 2.3 -> 2.4 -> 2.5 and you might consider holding there.   Now that assumes your server meets the requirements for PHP and for MySQL.

See the reqs listed for each version of the 'march' via the Moodle downloads page:

http://download.moodle.org/

You might also have to move the server OS from a 32 bit operating system to a 64 bit operating system ... Moodle 2 and the DB is pretty hefty ... even for sites of 250 users.

So you could be looking at a couple of days time ... if the person doing this migration is really familiar with the whole process - OS upgrades + Moodle March.   Advised it's safest to do a step and then check functionality and be aware of any new utilities to move the site upwards ... like quizes and assignments.  And, very important, do full site backups ... code directory, data directory, and an sql dump of the DB ... at every step.

From personal experience, can tell you that command line upgrades via git are more reliable - especially if the sever is of a Linux flavor.   That's something else to consider if one is making a move upwards.

Or ... you could opt to install a fresh 2.5.x on a new server and try your luck at restoring 1.9.x backups to the fresh 2.5.x.   Be forewarned, however, restoring 1.9.x backups users won't come across in course restores, courses restored will have 'legacy' file systems, user accounts will have to be imported bulk again and users enrolled in courses, and if you had any add-ons (mods/blocks) those may/may not be restored correctly.  Some mods/blocks from 1.9 have not made the trip to version 2.

Am sure others have other thoughts/opinions .... sooooooooo ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Virginia Valles -

Thank you so much.  You are right that we are on 1.9.9. 

It has always seemed like a web browser issue but in the last week or so it has not mattered what browser we are using.  We will upgrade the last week of December while students are off campus and see where we stand then.

In reply to Virginia Valles

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Interesting, I just saw this and posted the question elsewhere.

If I am on the same page here, I found that using IE is where I seem to be forced to use HTML in the description and in Mozilla/Fire fox shows the "Show Editing Tools" option.

I believe it is a browser, not Moodle, issue.