What advantages does Moodle offer over MS Sharepoint 2013?

Re: What advantages does Moodle offer over MS Sharepoint 2013?

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Thinking about it a little more, and it really did just occur to me, Moodle has one real advantage over every other LMS that I have ever seen. Again, it is something few Moodlers talk about, well, OK not that I have seen, but I have run into a couple or articles about it recently, and that is in the area of informal learning.

Most LMSs are formal, very formal, as the people who write them are guided by a set of priorities that might be the province of the organization, but are not always conducive to good learning. Formal learning is very structured, development times can be long, depending on the required learning outcomes. This also implies the courses have limited objectives and are not that flexible. Informal learning can provide a better framework for more formal learning, and speed up the learning process by attracting and engaging personal interest, greater collaborative approaches and more importantly, engage a lot more people in the creation of content. While this may seem a little counter intuitive, more people creating content, particularly from "in-the-field" or "coal-face" agents with real world, current experience, who develop specialty content, will speed up the learning process even more.

It also means that those interminable face-to-face, sit in the seminar room and be talked at, sessions can be reduced to just over arching principles or common policies- reducing the loss of too much production time. (No matter what the product is, even if it is bureaucratic paper shuffling, it is still production time.) For me, it also means those banal, pitiful, PowerPoint presentations can be replaced with video, or Prezis for which I will be truly grateful if I could get more of them..smile      

So there is something else that SP may not work on, informal learning. Would I be close to the mark in assuming that your organization has not really considered that aspect of learning? 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)