intermittent server 500 error

Re: intermittent server 500 error

by Hunter Allspaugh -
Number of replies: 6

My mistake. I checked the PHP error log and it didn't show any errors within the last 2 months.

In reply to Hunter Allspaugh

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

But a Server 500 Error is an error - so it should be being logged somewhere - either PHP's error log, IIS error log or the server event viewer... A 500 Error on it's own is fairly meaningless; you need the underlying error message to diagnose the issue.

Jon

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Not the PHP error log, the HTTP error log. You can find this in \Windows\System32\LogFiles\HTTPERR for IIS.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yep - there's no chance that error won't be logged. If you can't see it in the log, you're looking in the wrong log. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Hunter Allspaugh -

I have checked the php error log, the http error log, the iis error log.  Nothing has shown any evidence besides the error entry posted above.  Where else can I look to find some evidence of this problem?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It's always possible error logging is switched off somewhere - I've never used IIS so I don't know - however, there is plenty of info in Google land about 500 errors (and 500 errors and PHP).  E.g. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943891

In reply to Howard Miller

by Hunter Allspaugh -

Upon allowing guess access to the page, the errors seem to have disappeared.  I believe php error logging was not actually activated, so I will keep an eye on it and report back with any continued problems.