Lesson

Import Powerpoint html to lesson

Picture of Michael Penney
Import Powerpoint html to lesson
Core developers

Hi all, we have been getting alot of Powerpoint files to convert to lessons lately, so Mark coded up a little plug-in for to more or less automate this.

This is for lesson in 1.5+, it's in CVS/contrib/lesson_importPowerpoint. The ReadMe has install instructions. It does require modifying view.php.

How it works: you save your Powerpoint as html, then zip the folder up,

2) create a new lesson.

3) after you set the lesson up on the next screen it will have a link for "Import Powerpoint".

4) navigate to your zip file, upload it, and it should create a series of branch tables, one for each slide in the Powerpoint.

Some of PPT's formatting (tables and nested bullets) comes in a little problematic due to MS's odd way of writing html, however the text content and images and top level bullets should all come in ok. Of course you can always fix formatting issues by editing the lesson pages.

It sure saves time when someone comes in with 100 slide ppt they want to convert to a lessonsmile.

Average of ratings: -
SelfieChicago
Re: Import Powerpoint html to lesson
Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersTesters
Hi, Michael, first thank you for this PPT plug-in. Second, we did exactly that you explained. However, when I uploaded the ZIP file the plug-in sends the following message: could not get data. The ZIP file size is 147 Kb.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Mónico Briseño Cortés
Health Sciences Center
University of Guadalajara.

Core developers
Hi Monico, did you zip just the folder of files that Powerpoint creates? If you zip the presentationname.html file powerpoint creates and the folder (of html, jscript, image files, etc.) together, you get this error.

If you just zipped and folder, then what version of Powerpoint are you using? Can you post an example zip that generates this error?

SelfieChicago
Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersTesters
Hi Michael, I read carefully your suggestions and I just zipped the folder. The plug-in program loaded it correctly. However, no Power Presentation appears in the lesson activity. Each lesson page is in blank. I'm using MS Power Point 2000. My zipped file size is 1.4Mb. I can't post it in this forum.

TIA

Monico

Core developers
Hi Monico, can you post a small ppt from your system?

If it's a general problem with the importer, then no powerpoints you make should work, and we can see what the bug is. Without a sample that doesn't work, it will be impossible to debugsad.

If some powerpoints you make work and others don't, what is the difference between them?

Ray Lawrence

Hi Michael,

I'm having the same problem.

Here's a zip fileof the folder only.

PowerPoint 2000.

Mark Nielsen in Prague, Czech Republic - 2006

The export from PowerPoint 2000 is somewhat different from my version of powerpoint.  I got an updated version of the script in contrib.  Try it out if you like smile

Cheers,
Mark

Ray Lawrence

Hi Mark,

Missed your reply. Tried it and it works!

Cheers

Ray

Picture of Hector Rios

Hi Michael and anybody who read is... , im using moodle 1.7 office 2003, im importing the zip file of a 2mB powerpoint folder, and i had problems on that, i reduce the size of my presentation, taking out some slides, saved as a web page, commpresed the folder and so on.
when i importing now works, but at next screen of import i was not see nothing.

and when i login as a student he couldnt also see nothing

What is happeining i attached my power point zip file

Think I am older now :)
Documentation writersTesters
Hi Hector,
I send you some tiny zipped files and pdf showing what the intial PowerPoint looked like.

The good news is that my tiny test files did not insert any extra pages and 2003 seemed to import the same or perhaps a little better than the 2000 PowerPoint webpages. The not so good news is that I can not exactly predict what will and will not translate from PowerPoint into a Lesson.

This thread might note that I also created a course where I imported 7 zipped files (5 in 2000 and 2 in 2003). Each came from a slightly different PowerPoint. Spent a couple of hours last night moving from a Windows 98 machine (PowerPoint 2000) to my Window XP Professional (PowerPoint 2003) and my 1.7 latest and greatest local host. My course included the zip and pdf files. I backed up the course and it is a little over 3 mgs.

I changed my profile's email address to gmail to avoid my university from calling any attachment that is not zipped a virus. approve

This reply is probably not much help. Best Chris

James Chan, FCoT, MCollT, MCCC, Teacher Cert. (N.C.E.& S.R.B.C.E.),

Hi,

I have installed moodle 1.7 on my test server. I placed the SQL outside the public directory. Today, when I tried to import a powerpoint into a lesson, it just gave me an error message "could not get data".

When I use the cpanel and check where the files have gone, I found that the zip file is copied to uploaddata/temp/lesson, should this file be copied there? Also, the file has already been unzipped back to an html file and the related folder. But should all these files and folders be uploaded and unzipped back to the course folder? That is, the path at uploaddata/coursenumber/moddata/lesson/...

On the other hand, my zip file is family.zip which zipped a family folder. Inside the family folder, it contains a myfamily.htm file and a myfamily.files folder. i.e. family.zip = family folder = myfamily.htm + myfamily.files folder

However, I found the files in the uploaddata/temp/lesson in this way:

• an empty folder, family folder
  • a zip file, family.zip
  • a file, myfamily.htm
  • a folder, myfamily.files folder

When I click the file, myfamily.htm to show the file under https, it just gave a blank error page, https://ipaddress/cpanelfrontend/rvblue/files/myfamily.files/frame.htm . The frame.htm is actually inside the folder.

I just wonder if the powerpoint upload in lesson should be directed to the temp folder. I tested the powerpoint upload onto my another production server running 1.6+. It happened the same.

Any hints would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Cheers

James

Picture of Hector Rios

Hi when you have your powerpoint you have to save it as html page
after that you will have two files..... 1 an htm file and one xxxfiles folder... you have to compress only the xxxfiles folder in order to import later that to your lesson.

James Chan, FCoT, MCollT, MCCC, Teacher Cert. (N.C.E.& S.R.B.C.E.),

Hi Rios

Thanks for your tips. I managed to import the powerpoint now. However, the pictures seem to be unlinked. I am still testing it. I hope I can sort it out. Thanks again.  Cheers

James

Hi James, Rios and King,
Just curious if MoodleDoc's words might be improved give your recent experience. http://docs.moodle.org/en/Import_PowerPoint . If someone can point me at some problem areas, I will devote some time to research and the rewrite.

I am told another option is to embed a flash file in a lesson page. Another thing on my to do list to test myself.

Thanks for the posts. Chris

Picture of Andrea Hall

Does this plug-in work on Moodle 1.6? Also what are the file sizes compared to Captivate, flash or PDF?

Hi Andrea,

Import PowerPoint is included with the standard 1.6 Moodle. It used to be a plugin.   See the general description here in MoodleDocs .   I would not say it creates a file such as a PDF file.   I will let somebody else discuss the different byte sizes of a course when the same powerpoint is used in each of the 4 different mediums.  

One of the benefits of the ImportPowerpoint feature is that after importing, the teacher can edit each lesson page's content directly in Moodle.   This means change text and objects.  

This is not possible using flash or PDF files.    For  example, the changes might be made in the original PowerPoint pages, which then would be "printed" to a PDF file and the PDF file uploaded to Moodle.   The lesson link to the PDF would be the same, as long as the PDF name was not changed.  

Hope this helps.

Picture of Martha Cotter

What about version 1.8? I can not find the import powerpoint option in the lessons for this version.

Picture of Martha Cotter

never mind, I see I have to delete all my branch pages first, then I can see the import option, but it is not formatted when it imports. Is there a way to see the powerpoint in the web page form with the slide headers on the left and the slides and note pages on the right like when you pull slide1.html in your web bowser?

Picture of ricardo garcia

oye como subo un powerpoint en el moodle 2.0

Art Lader
Documentation writers

> 100 slide ppt they want to convert

Yikes! I think I would just run it through Camtasia studio to convert it to Flash (or export it to a *.mov file on my Mac).

But the plug-in does sound wonderful and easier than the above.

Anyone else using this yet?

-- Art

Core developers
Hi Art, if flash is the desired output, I'd use BBFlashback myselfsmile.

However, this is for using powerpoint as a lesson authoring tool, where the final results need to be a series of editable branch tables (which may then get questions alternative branchs, etc. thrown in amongst them).

It lets the instructors author the main content in powerpoint, and then give our course creators instructions for adding other things in.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Art Lader
Documentation writers

Man that sounds great, Michael. My colleagues would love it, I am sure. Maybe one day it will make it into the standard Moodle distro...

And BBFlashback looks great; I had never heard of it before. Thanks for the tip.

-- Art

Picture of Martin Mart

Hi!

Give a try to Windows Media Encoder from MIcrosoft. It´s free! and capture windows, screen, videos to produce wmv, streem fromats etc. etc. in different qualities

I use it to teach how to use SAP (recording procedures meanwhile recording voice) in the company.

Hope this helps you

Martin

Art Lader
Documentation writers

You are right, Matrtin. Windows Media Encoder is, indeed, very cool. Thanks for the tip!

-- Art

Picture of Tony Hursh

Or just load it into OpenOffice and go to File/Export, then choose Macromedia Flash (SWF) as the file format.

It works great, and the price is certainly right.

smile

Core developers
Has anyone come up with a way to put a table of contents or at least back and next buttons into an OO exported powerpoint?

Last time I tried it it seemed a 'feature' with limited usefulness due to lack of any navigation controls other than 'click to next': I'd hate be the student who gets through the 100 slide presentation and wants to go back to slide 50angry.

Picture of Tony Hursh

I don't think there's an easy way to go back and forth if you've exported to Flash, though I suspect a Flash person could create an add-on controller without too much trouble.

If you export to HTML, though, you get a nice Table of Contents page that lets you go to any slide you want. One of the control buttons you see in the slide show will take you back to the TOC at any time.

Picture of Matthew Trachtenberg

Hello i have a course i would like to import using this wonderfull tool.

My powerpoint version is 2003, and i followed all install directions, when i select the .zip file and click the upload button nothing seems to happen, it just clears the path field and stays on the same screen

Im running moodle 1.5 and ppt 2003, the files is around 330 pages.

any thoughts?

I have done some troubleshooting and it seems my original file was too long a smaller file does import.

BUT i only get the last slide imported multiple times, ( as many times as i have slides in the presentation IE 10 slides i get 10 copies of the last slide only)

Is this a problem with powerpoint 2003?

Any ideas on what i might do to fix it?

I really would like to get this working as all of our courseware is written in powerpoint and this would make our conversion so simple...

Core developers
Hi Matthew, can you send me or post here a small one of these problem powerpoints?

Here is short set with a few slides

It is just some test slides my actual slides are too large to post, too many graphics and such, ive tested wiht this and get the same results as my actual slides.

let me know what you think I have been trying to hack the code of importppt.php with no luck, still only get multiple copies of the last slide in the series.

Core developers
Hi Matthew, that zip imported fine on my install with the latest Moodle 1.5+ and the lasted version of importppt. There were some import problems with different PPT versions fixed, perhaps try the latest import ppot code from CVS?

Picture of Rashan Anushka

Hi, I am having the same problem. I tried to upload with Moodle 1.5.2 and the powerpoint slides was created using Powerpoint 2002, but all the slides of the lesson contains the last slide and have two buttons named 'Previouse'

The uploading seems to be working. I could find all the files at the course files section. Please help me!

Core developers
Can't help if we can't test the file. Please post a small powerpoint that is causing this problem and I'll take a look at it. 

Picture of Valeriy Gabrusev

Hello!
At me also problem with the import from  PowerPoint. Sourse file in attach.
Valery!

Picture of Valeriy Gabrusev

Hello!
At me also problem with the import from 

Picture of Rashan Anushka

Hi, My problem seems to be with every slide show I created (even with simple ones with two or three slides with no graphics). So I have send you a sample along with the importppt.php file i am using. (I have zipedthese two files again to post to the forum)
By the way Is there any special settings i should set when i create the lesson for importing the zip file.

Picture of Andy Griffiths

Hi

I have the same problem, i can import the presentation but only get the last slide repeatedly. but only after the following.

The first time i tried i got a "could not get data" message. I noticed that the files uploaded and extracted into "moodledata/lesson" and that the .zip was also in this folder. The presentation folder, in this case Sewarspres_files is empty.

At this point i copied all the files from the lesson folder to the Sewarspres_files folder and the lesson loaded but only the last slide repeatedly. The .zip file is 1.16MB and consists of 33 slides. Running Windows XP SP1, Powerpoint 2002, Moodle 1.5 on an internal network

Any help would be greatly appriciated. The file is too large to post here but i can send by e-mail if required.

Andy

Picture of Marc Dastous

Hey there Michael;

This is the error I get...

Warning: opendir (/xxx/devdata/temp/lesson/Moodle): failed to open dir: No such file or directory in xxx/mod/lesson/importppt.php on line 150

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /xxx/mod/lesson/importppt.php on line 151

could not get data

I believe this has something to do with file size.  I successfully uploaded a 2 slide presentation (256 KB), however the zip file for the one that got this error was 1.55 MB.

Any thoughts?

Marc

Core developers
If that is more than your max upload size it might cause a problem. There may also be something going on with other limits on your server if a big file causes a problem while a smaller file doesn't. Is it your own server or are you on a webhost?

Picture of Clarence Prudhoe

Michael,

Thank you for the help.  I guess I don't understand the use of CVS.  I understand that it meas Current Version Server, but I thought I had to access it from SHELL in Linox.  While I can do many things in SHELL, my host does not allow me to use CVS to transfer files server to server.  I would like to be able to update my moodle installation via CVS but it doesn't appear that I can.  When I follow the directions on Moodle.org/Download/CVS I can't gain access because of my SHELL access limitation. 

Thanks again, I have downloaded your script and will now install it.

Clarence Prudhoe

Picture of Marcus Schubert

Hi,

i just tried the new version from CVS with latest moodle 1.5 and PowerPoint 2000 but it doesn't seem to work. ärgerlich
I get to the point, where im able to select the file. But when im trying to upload it, the text field is cleared and nothing happens. gedankenverloren

I attached the zip. You can try if you like to.

Regards

Marcus

Picture of Keith Lohmann

I'm having the same problem.  I've tried both Open Office 1.13 and PowerPoint 2003.  If you look at the bottom of the screen, it quickly gives messages about  importing, and then goes back to the import screen.  I'm running 1.5+ (yesterday) and loaded the script off the humbodt site.  Thanks very much.  K.

I could not reproduce your error and I'm not sure what is going wrong. I was able to import your zip file just fine. Did you get the import script from contrib? Lesson in CVS head (1.6) and contrib have the newest version of the import script.

Cheers,
Mark

Picture of joe cool

I had a similar problem - the last slide was repeated. I got the code from http://cdc.humboldt.edu/moodle recently - Feb 2006. I will try to create a small zip file and post it later. ... I have attached the ZIP file. This contains 3 simple slides. I used PowerPoint 2002 (10.4205.4219) SP-2.

Another note - in Moodle, the lesson created from the PowerPoint has 2 Previous buttons, instead a Previous and Next.

Picture of Clarence Prudhoe

Michael,

If I understand correctly, this PowerPoint plugin is not yet part of Moodle and must be added. I see that it is available through CVS, however, because I am on a shared server, I can't use CVS. Is there another way to download this script?

Thanks,

Clarence

Core developers
Hi Clarence, I just finished putting links to our CVS files on our Moodle info page this weekend. Try here: http://cdc.humboldt.edu/moodle. Note that the code is for lesson in moodle 1.5.

Picture of Alexander Kuo

I have got this CVS file and installed into my server. I actually followed those steps in the file "README.txt". But, unfortunately, I still failed. I have checked the ZIP file and made sure it has been successfully uploaded and has been unziped into a directory in /moodledata/temp/lesson. however, in /moddata/lesson/lesson_name0 no file exists.  I use Moodle 1.5.1 + M.S. Powerpoint 2003. Any suggestions??
By the way, I find some errors in my httpd-error.log. It reads:
   [Thu Jul 14 22:33:35 2005] [error] PHP Warning: opendir(/data/moodledata/temp/l esson/format): failed to open dir: No such file or directory in /usr/local/www/d ata/moodle/mod/lesson/importppt.php on line 150 [Thu Jul 14 22:33:35 2005] [error] PHP Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /usr/local/www/data/moodle/mod/lesson/importp pt.php on line 151

Thanks for posting the errors.  Gave me a place to look.  I made a few changes but not sure if they will fix your problem.  I committed the changes into 1.6 and in contrib.  If you could post your powerpoint export or email it to me that would help greatly.

Cheers,
Mark

Todd_recent

Michael

This is very cool and it worked perfectly for me using Mac OS 10.4 and Powerpoint 2004. I imported a text only version of a ppt I had set up as a storyboard for a case based simulation game. All the text came into the lesson as separate pages with previous and next buttons.  When I chose to edit the page, I had options to alter the text in the description boxes to anything I wanted and choose where the page would branch to from a dropdown menu that included all my slides.

So all I had to do was replace the previous and next text plus the two blank description windows (my lesson was set up with 4 branches per page) with the four decision options I already had for each slide by cutting and pasting the decision statements or questions from the lesson content box into the description boxes. Then I selected which page to jump to for each statement and presto, I have a decision tree. This is handy as I find Powerpoint an easy way to storyboard (though I hate it for most other things it is used for).

Having already played around with the lesson pages, I know I can now import any graphics, quicktime video or sound I want into the pages. So now the question I have is how to do something like this that imports the file into questions pages so the lesson can be scored? Or is it possible to set up scoring in the current import format (I am still a lesson newbie)?

Thanks.

Todd

Todd Luger
Instructional Designer
Department of e-Learning
Savannah College of Art and Design
voice: (912) 525-8033
fax: (912) 525-8035

Todd_recent

I think I figured out the answer to my own final question. Many of the steps in my current simulation are actually not right or wrong, they just lead down one path or another, so they don't need to be scored. It is only as you get deeper into the tree that your choices start to have consequences.  At those places in the tree, it appears I would merely add a question page and insert the appropriate information.

Todd

Todd_recent

A number of pages in my ppt import appeared with extraneous text such as (I bolded the only text that was visible in the ppt in this line):

mytop = 0 * g_height; myleft = 0 * g_width; myheight = 0.06 * g_height; mywidth = 0.9 * g_width; document.write( '' );3. Eliminate Dryness and Rescue the Lungs mytop = 0.05 * g_height; myleft = 0.03 * g_width; myheight = 0.06 * g_height; mywidth = 0.79 * g_width; document.write( '' ); Decoction

Todd

Todd,
Good work. I apologize for my life which got real complicated (I got some great excuses) in the last two weeks in doing a troubleshooting tree model of 40 slides. In my limited work with ImportPPT, KISS is the rule see Import PowerPoint in MoodleDocs and maybe consider sharing what works there.

You are correct. Branches are score and grade neutral ways of presenting content. Add your questions later. As I understood it, your model was about the student exploring the results of different decisions. So a student "retaking" the lesson was important and grades were not a factor in my thinking and branch pages were the way to go. Of course you can add questions and grade them.

You also put ImportPPT to its best use. Bring in the text and maybe one or two simple graphics (KISS) to bring in a bunch of content quickly. And then do the fancer stuff on a page by page basis in the Moodle Lesson. I was so thrilled that ImportPPT was working, I never linked the laborous task of creating 40 slides in the model I promised you with this new Moodle feature.

Have you discovered GIFT and import questions? It is possible to write 20 questions in OO writer or MSWord (using a template developed by Moodlers) and then import them all at once in one file, or one at a time in individual files. Then it is a matter of moving them and/or setting up the correct links.

Sounds like your model has adaptive testing elements in it (you didn't mention this goal smile ) . Very nice. In your pyrimad of potential student choices, I am guessing many of the 54 lowest level outcomes might fall into common catagories, each deserving a specific set of educational scored/graded questions.

Now you got me thinking  going off the deep end.   About ImportPPT and how I could create a template lesson, where teachers would only have to create content (in Powerpoint or OO Impress) plus the questions but not have to worry about the jumps the most complicated part.  I think it is all about side and image naming conventions.   Consider Lesson  Branch Page 36 that has a title called Q1_Dx3_RX2.  It only contains a single image from a file called img35.jpg.   It  has our standard models single jump(s) to Q1_Dx3_Rx2_Rr1 (or what ever).   When I replace img35.jpg with another file called img35.jpg, I have changed the content.   OO impress creates what I would call a screen shot of a page when it exports it and makes a nice series of files called img1, img2, img3 etc.  

Nice work and thanks for your posts

Todd_recent

Chris

I don't always need scoring, but I wanted to have the option as I might use the simulation as a final assessment for an online continuing medical education course I am developing.

As for GIFT, I did read a post from Bernard on that and followed some links he provided.  However, it seemed like it was an Excel based template.  Could you direct me to the word template?

Finally, to any and all who are struggling with how to write a case simulation in the lesson module, I highly recommend storyboarding it in PPT and then doing the import. When I finally saw the branch tables and the options, it like a eureka experience.  It all became clear to me and I am positive I could now make a lesson of this sort from scratch.

Todd

Excellent suggestion.  You have what I would call a complex presentation.   Not only do you need a text story board but that handy graphic at all times.   Well at least I would being some 40 years older than my current picture smile   For me every page would have a breadcrumb title that would actually follow your generic graphic.  

The GIFT converter is definately a Word file.   I  was even brave and went in and changed some of the automatic wording.   It essentially creates a text file.  I generally save it as a word file and then convert it to a text file with the macro button. 

Looks like it has been upgraded since I download it.  http://www.soberit.hut.fi/sprg/resources/moodle/GiftConverter.html

I did find an OO writer (Open Office) http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=20705  scroll down and find Verison 2.0  .
Hopes this helps.

Todd_recent

Hi Chris (and others who might be able to lend some help),

After some thought, I realized I will really only need one question page at the very end of the lesson.  It will be an essay type question that allows students to make some final manual adjustments to the solution they arrived at in the lesson.  Branch tables will suffice for the rest. However, now that I have finished the storyboard for a case template that is even more complex than I one I shared earlier, I have another problem.  My current template has 916 possible unique solutions. I begin with 4 sets of 6 options each, each set of which can be combined into pairs yielding 15 possible combinations for each set.  That makes 60 outcomes.  Each of these 60 sets also has 6 additional options to choose from, which can be combined into pairs yielding another 15 possible combinations per set. 15 X 60 now equals 900 outcomes. Don't worry about where the other 16 options come from as it is not relevant to this question and will take too long to explain.

The problem is twofold:

1.  I suspect my ppt converted to html will be larger than the maximum upload size of 4 MB.  Is there another way to get the file to my server and import it into the lesson module?

2.  I will have to manually add the 916 branch choice descriptions from inside the lesson module, which means I would like to be able to copy the resultant lesson template both within and between courses. Having to recreate the template manually will make the process far too demanding to be cost effective for me.

I am using Moodle 1.5.3 and am planning to install either the copy activities module and/or the duplicate hack.  Any suggestions as to which one I should use, if any?  I notice neither is included in the "approved" list of moodle plug-ins.

TIA

Todd

Todd_recent

OK.  I see part of my issue is addressed using the import feature of the target course.  That takes care of transferring the lesson between courses.  I tried a sample lesson and it worked fine. So I guess the copy activities module is the way to go for copying within courses.  So that leaves with me with an install question.  I can't easily unzip files right on my server as it involves UNIX commands that just boggle my mind. I took a look at all the files in the copy activities folder and they are all php files.  So won't they work if I just upload them manually one by one to the appropriate directories?

Todd

Hi Todd,

I assume your site administrator has limited you to a 4 Mg upload?   That is not a Moodle upper limit.

Re copy, I think you have the solution I use.  1.6 makes it even easier.  Sometimes I backup a course, restore it to a new course.  Then delete those parts of the course that are not part of my template.   Then backup the resulting course.  I tend to download my templates to a folder outside of Moodle, so they are available to upload to any of my 4 localhost Moodles and 1 production Moodle. 

I am confused by your zip issues in Unix.   I could be missing something but our production site is Red Hat Linix, which I believe is a flavor of Unix.  I never have to use those tar commands.   And for all intents and purposes it acts just like my localhost which operates on my Windows XP machine.  I thought unzipping was a function built into Moodle.  I am wondering if you are being too tricky? smile  

Hope this helps a little.  

Todd_recent

Chris,

>>I assume your site administrator has limited you to a 4 MB upload?   That is not a Moodle upper limit.

Hmm. That is the max I can set using the site settings panel in the moodle interface. My host allows me unlimited uploads via ftp.  I have sent 80 MB movies up in the past.

>>I tend to download my templates to a folder outside of Moodle, so they are available to upload to any of my 4 localhost Moodles and 1 production Moodle.

How can you download just a single lesson?  I don't see that as an option anywhere.  But maybe it is because I still use 1.5 

>>I am confused by your zip issues in Unix.   I could be missing something but our production site is Red Hat Linix, which I believe is a flavor of Unix.  I never have to use those tar commands.   And for all intents and purposes it acts just like my localhost which operates on my Windows XP machine.  I thought unzipping was a function built into Moodle.

I am talking about unzipping a plug-in like the copy_activities extension.  I am not sure how to access the unzip command for an extension I am trying to install in moodle.

Todd

Hi Todd,
Single lesson.  Can't do it with 1.5.3.  What you can do is do a creative backup.  Use the all/none button, the check off just Lessons, no students & no user files.  If you have used images in the lesson, then be sure to include course files.  This gets all the lessons.  Restore to new course.  Delete the lessons you dont want, save the course and now you have a single lesson!   Ugly but.   

1.6 will allow you to check specific activities, like the lesson on Chapter 8 but not the lessons on Chapters 1 through 7.   I tested saving lessons 1.6 and import them into 1.5.3 .   Seemed to work, not sure why except that my Moodles are standard and my lessons don't use anything fancy or improved.  Don't think I turned on dependency setting in Lesson settings (1.6 new feature).  

My localhost Moodle 1.5.3 is set to 16 MG.  Our production site administrator has got that site set to 25 MG.   Search the installation forum for ways to increase the max file size, from somebody who knows more than me. I am sure there is a way to bump it to 100 MG in some php file, probably named config.php smile   

Duh, unzipping special addins  like Certificate.    I don't deal with the production Moodle.  On my localhosts, I unpack the files some non-moodle place and move the files one by one to the correct  location. (that is what your post said as I recall).  Sorry.  

Todd_recent

Hi Chris

I was able to increase my moodle upload max to 20 MB by adding this code to the php.ini file in cgi-bin:

upload_max_filesize = 20971520
post_max_size = 20971520

Thanks for the tip on copying a single lesson. Clever.

Todd

Hi Todd,
Glad the V 1.5 tip helps. I would suggest you try installing a localhost of 1.6 on a machine for two reasons. 1) It has that selective activity backup feature. 2) The collapsed view makes editing and double checking branch jumps a lot quicker.  Naturally, you will need to check and see if just a Lesson created on the localhost 1.6 can be imported into your production v 1.5.X Course.   

Chris

Todd_recent

Chris

Those features sound helpful. However, I am not sure I can run Moodle as a localhost on my mac. I guess I would have to just install apache and mysql (I assume that is possible). To be honest, the only reason I am resisting upgrading from 1.5 is that seems like it would be so time consuming. I am not much of a UNIx guy and lost a sleep setting up Moodle on my own in the first place.

Todd

Todd Luger
Instructional Designer
Department of e-Learning
Savannah College of Art and Design
voice: (912) 525-8033
fax: (912) 525-8035

Core developers
Hi Todd, there is a MacOS 10.4 install package on the main Moodle download page. This doesn't work on 10.3.x, but it sets up in a snap on 10.4.

Todd_recent

Michael

Much appreciated.

Todd

Todd_recent

Michael

This looks an install package for 1.5.4, not 1.6. Can it be used with 1.6?

Todd

Michael and Todd,
I thought ImportPPT was part of 1.6.  Other versions need to install the addin.

My question: Does any given version of Moodle have the same functionality for all operating systems? 

Just want to make sure I understand if there are any special needs with a MAC OS smile

Chris

Todd_recent

Chris

I just checked. My local version of 1.6 does include import PPT.

Todd

Todd_recent

Michael

I got it figured out. After installing the local version of moodle 1.5, I just upgraded to 1.6. For others, I merely

1. renamed my 1.5 moodle folder as moodle_backup.

2. Put the zip file of 1.6 in the xampp directory and unarchived it.

3. put the config file from the moodle_backup folder into the new moodle folder

Everything installed successfully, so now I have a local version of 1.6.

Yippee!

Todd

Yep that works.   I have c:\moodle16 with  c:\moodle16/moodle  under it.  I also have c:\moodle15 with c:\moodle15\moodle under it.  I just unpack version of Moodle to either c:\moodle16 or ..15.   Took a little fiddling with the config files of apache.   Now,  I have a localhost on my browser settings.  I have short cuts to stop Xampp and my restart Xampp in Moodle16 and another in Moodle 15.     So if I am checking something out in Moodle15 and want to switch to 1.6.   I close my browser window opened to 1.5.  Then I click on the restart 1.6 shortcut.  Then click on the localhost shortcut on my browser (Firefox).

Re:localhost MAC OS & Import Powerpoint html to lesson
Hi Todd and Thanks Michael,
I am MACless, so even more clueless in that area.  I believe that Michael and friends do a lot of Moodle development on a MAC OS.  Localhost is the way to go for the groundbreaking stuff prior to going to the production server.  

Re:localhost MAC OS & Import Powerpoint html to lesson
Core developers
There is also a complete install package for Windows on the Moodle download page. We're about 1/2 and 1/2 Mac and Windows in our show. I have a Mac laptop and an XP laptop to bounce back and forth between for testing.

Picture of Daniel Israel

I read your posting in which you said you managed to to import a PPT file into a lesson, which you generated using OSX 10.4 and PPT 2004. I tried this, but my PPT exports as all graphics (i.e., the text on the slides are rendered into graphics files in the _html directory). I can't find a way to generate text-based web pages. Can you explain how you did it?

Picture of Tan Teck Hock

Sorry I cant understand how to download the ppt plugin. Can elaborate?

Picture of Keith Lohmann

Hi Michael:

I'm still struggling with this function.  I'm running Moodle 1.5.2+ on Debian Sarge (kernel 2.6.8-2) with PHP 4 and Apache 2.  I downloaded importppt  script from the University site that you recommended.

I've tried all sizes and shapes of powerpoint files (XP) using winzip, as well as linux zip, and .tgz all to no avail.  I've also tried using Open Office 1.1.3 with the same results.  The upload screen comes up, and eventually, it refreshes to the original upload file page.

Is it possible that the script needs a Windows XP version of zip to zip the directory?  Barring that, any other ideas of where to start looking - e.g. what directory does the script upload the file to, and then where do the extracted pieces go from there?  It looks from the script as if it is (data-root)/moodle/temp, and if that is so, there is nothing in that directory afterwards.  Does that mean that the info is not even getting through that first step?  Thanks, K.

Core developers

Is it possible that the script needs a Windows XP version of zip to zip the directory?

Nope, Mark wrote it on a Macsmile. It also works on my XP box using the default zip tool.

If you can post a small ppt zip that doesn't work on your system here, I'll take a look at it.

Picture of Matt Cromwell

I'm also not able to get it running. Here's my specs:
Moodle 1.5.2
PHP 5.0.5
Windows 2003 server
PowerPoint 2000

And here's a link to the .zip file (created with ICEOWS).
I also tried an .ice file with no success

Thanks in advance for any help

Picture of Bhupinder Singh

Hi Micheael,

I way sound boring on the PPT Issue. But you help shall be great.

My INSTALLATION STATUS:

Moodle 1.52, ON Windows XP

Powerpoint 2003.

I have the installation ready and functioning( Import Powerpoint).

When  I use import and try to upload I get an error.

"PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature ".

However when I try to upload a TEST ZIP posted on this forum above IT WORKS.

Unable to figure out. How to resolve issue. Look for your review and guidance.

PS the file upload size is set at 8 MB.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Garry

Picture of Peter Kupfer

Hello, thank you for your efforts to create this plugin. I installed the plugin (your instructions were quite nice, although I would suggest adding a few line breaks to the file) but I am having an issue.

I am running Moodle the most recent version of Moodle and am using PowerPoint 2002 on Windows XP SP1.

I select lesson then import PPT and then I upload the files and it seems to be uploading them but then the screen refreshes and the path in the upload box just goes blank.

I have attached the zipped files in case that helps. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Picture of Kasia Winkowska-Nowak

I want to ask if the we can see Animations form the Power Point Presentations if we change it Lessons the way you described?

Core developers
No, you need one of the tools that converts powerpoint to flash to presenver the ppt animations (and check, many of the converters don't convert all the animations).

Lesson just imports Powerpoint html files created by exporting the ppt to html.

Thank you for the info, but I have one more question.  HTML of PowerPoint gives you animations in the slide (like text or pictures) how is with Lessons?

What about animated gifs - are they animated in Lesson?

Picture of Rick Barnes

I use OpenOffice impress to open powerpoint files and export them in swf format for use on the internet. i haven't tested this for animations and transitions but as it is free it may be worth a try.

Animated gifs will stay animated ;)

Thanks for help. k

Picture of Isa Almoawda

Hi

I am either having the same problem with import the presentation. Can you tell me what to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Isa

Hi Isa,
I put in a bug on this recently. Would you go to bug tracker by clicking here bug 5444 .  You might have to log in elsewhere. Please put in what kind of operating system, sql, version of moodle and what happens when you try import PowerPoint. Oh yes, please put in the content what version of PowerPoint you are using .

If it works for you (or others), please go there as well and help our friends out by providing this basic information about what works.

There is a lot of PHP code, which is set up to import powerpoint into the book add on as well as into the lesson module. Plus Microsoft does not make it easy by changing things from PowerPoint version to version.

I am holding out the vision that my next download of 1.6 is going to contain the tweak that makes it work.

Chris

ImportPPT now works in 1.6.   I did some quick and dirty checking on what it would and would not do.  First it works with 2000 and 2002 flavors of PowerPoint (not 2003).  

I have tried to say in MoodleDocs that it is designed for a teacher who wants to organize content via PowerPoint and use that as a starting point for creating a lesson.   It took two of my simple short powerpoints and did a pretty good job of bringing in one or two graphics per page with plain jane text that did not fill up the page (best practice anyway). 

It did not do well with 2 fancier PowerPoints.  So I would not recommend that this is a tool to convert existing robust PowerPoints into lessons.  While I think the goal of importing text and objects into a lesson is noble, the higher priced program has not and will not make this an easy process. Hey, it doesn't always work well between their own so called robust programs.

I would still like to see an importOO.php from a zipped OO webpage folder.  Initially, this would insert the slide image into content as one object and the only text imported would be the slide title.  Down the road, since it is open source, my next vision is that somebody should be able to import all the fancy things like masterslide info, page numbers, fonts, and other stuff straight from an OO Impress file.  

I am happy that the previous bug was fixed.  If you stop and think about just creating 150 page titles in "the logical order", I would rather create them in something like higher priced program (outline view where the enter key is the insert new page), than in Lesson (which requires many more keystrokes to create a page).  Combined the simple import with the great functionality of Collapsed view in 1.6 and the process speeds right up for those creating complex lessons like diagonistic trees or simplier ones like flash cards.

Picture of Fred Frazelle

i don't know if you guys are aware of it or not, but there is a less expensive powerpoint program called OpenOffice which has an Impress module -- it's free.

Re: higher price vrs lower priced presentation import to Moodle
Hi Fred,
Oh yes, some of us are aware if you look real close in this threadsmile

In other threads including comments about ImportPPT in Bug, people discussed why we are devoting our resources to make Bill's product functional with ours (which adds value to his) instead of doing OOI (Open Office Impress) which already does a decent job of translating the higher priced presentation program into its format(open source).   

Good point.  Chris

Picture of Michel Sandri

Hi Michael

I downloaded the version 1.6.1 of Moodle with the fix of the "could not get data" error. Howover an example with accent it happens the same error. I think it's better to alert the users about don´t use accents and other caracteres like "ç".

Picture of moodle master

I've just downloaded moodle for xp on 09/21/06.

I tried, searched and read about importing power point but I get the error can not get data.

Could some give me more detail on what I'm doing wrong.

Power point 2003 sp2 pro edition.

Thanks for your help.

Import PPT and 2003
Hi, 
I don't think PPT 2003 works with Import PPT. The web files it creates contain a different file structure than earlier verisions of PPT. 

The work around is to see if you can use an earlier version of PPT.   Perhaps someone else has a better idea. 

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

[Using Moodle 1.6.2+, Windows]

Current version of importppt.php does not work with Powerpoint 2003 files. However there is a simple hack to make it work. In file \moodle\mod\lesson\importppt.php, just remove or comment line 134:

//    $base = $base.$dirname;  // update the base

This is far from satisfactory, however, because importppt creates in your moodledata\temp directory a \lesson directory which unfortunately does get not cleaned up (removed) after importing of the powerpoint file. It has to be removed by hand, and you can only access that directory as admin, not as teacher.

Actually, the importpowerpoint to lesson format has never been finalized, and I am surprised that it is now part of the Moodle regular distribution.

Joseph

PS Could someone post here a zipped file of a small powerpoint made with a Powerpoint version prior to 2003 so I could carry out some tests? Thanks.

Art Lader
Documentation writers
PPT 2000

-- Art

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Hi Art,
This is not what I meant. In order to carry out tests I need a Powerpoint < 2003 presentation saved as HTML and zipped.
Can you do this and post it here? Thanks,
Joseph

Art Lader
Documentation writers
How is this (attached)?

-- Art

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Hm, these files seem to behave like Powerpoint 2003.
Thanks all the same,
Joseph

Actually, the importpowerpoint to lesson format has never been finalized, and I am surprised that it is now part of the Moodle regular distribution.

I agree that the import power point feature does not work well enough to be part of the regular Moodle distribution.  Also, I have little to no interest in supporting it due to its complexity and to PowerPoint's inventive HTML export that is not consistent through PowerPoint versions.

This feature should remain in contrib until someone provides the necessary support and updates to make it stable for Moodle core.

+1 vote for removal approve

Core developers
Maybe we should drop PPT html import and just import PPTs exported as JPEG or PNG.

Art Lader
Documentation writers
> just import PPTs exported as JPEG or PNG

That's what we have been doing. It works pretty well.

-- Art

Picture of A. T. Wyatt

I hate to lose all the text though.  Even having the title would help.  When you have a lot of presentations, or very long ones, every little bit helps!  But, of course, not if you have to redo it all or if you can't import anything at all.

We are stuck if you can't use 2003.  I doubt we have anything older (except at my house!)
atw

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
> We are stuck if you can't use 2003.

You can use slides created with powerpoint 2003 if you use the hack in my previous post, i.e. in file \moodle\mod\lesson\importppt.php, just remove or comment line 134:

//    $base = $base.$dirname;

I have also hacked importppt.php so that it will now create its temporary powerpoint import folder in a course's files folder rather than in moodledata root directory. That way when a teacher imports PPT files to a lesson in his course, he can delete the temp folder after the import operation. I am attaching the diff file if that is of use to anyone.

Joseph

Ray Lawrence

There is an option on PPT 2003 to Save as... an earlier version (of PPT). I've not tried this out with the import tool though.

Picture of A. T. Wyatt

I know you can save as, but I thought it worked by using the html export.  To my knowledge, you can't put a version on that!  Maybe I had better go look at it again!

I might just go with Joseph's hack--I am admin, so I can do the conversions from a special course and clean up afterwards!  Or, if the files go to the course folder, we are even better.  I doubt many of my instructors are ready for lessons, but I can help the few that are.

Thanks!
atw

Ray Lawrence

blush Correct, doing some other work whilst keeping an eye on my Moodle.org emails. Need to engage brain before touching keyboard.

Re: Import PPT as JPEG or PNG.
Art, how you do that?   Import JPEGs from exported PPTs ?  Would you write a draft in  http://docs.moodle.org/en/Import_PowerPoint in Moodle Docs ?

I also think  it is a mistake to drop the idea of importing information from a presentation.   Bringing in both text and objects from PPT into a lesson is asking too much.   I would much rather see and either or.  

Say one process to bring in a text file , another process to bring in a series of JPEGs.   The text file could be similar to importing a Word outline into PPT.     I am also wondering if I could convert a word document using GIFT or something like that?  

I like the JPEG slides because they are accurate.  Yeah you can't edit them, but then again, you can only replace them.

Art Lader
Documentation writers
Hi, Chris,

There is not much to say, really: We have a couple teachers who like to work in PPT and find making lessons tedious. They save as jpg or gif and insert the slides as images and add text, questions as necessary.

One of the problems with this is that the slides look jagged and cheesy when the screen resolution gets big. It does save time, though.

I will post something at docs.moodle.org.

Nice frog, by the way! wink

-- Art

Thanks Art.  Don't worry I will take care of that.   That is the good old fashion manual way, takes about 2 or 3 mintues per page, depending upon version of moodle, screen refresh rates etc.   Sigh, been there and done that.

I noticed in the ImportPPT code seem to say that if it could not find the outline.htm file which seems to provide the slide order links,  then it was to grab all the files that start with "slide".     I wondered if that was what you did and somehow I missed something.  

My own maul of the code and an edit of a special file, allows me to import any size PPT via OOI into Lesson in 15 minutes for the entire process.   Not something I would teach a teacher.  Not something I would put on our production Moodle.   But I HATE (sorry for the strong negative) inserting one jpg after another into one lesson page after an another.   After the first 100 it got tiresome and after 1000 I didn't care how long it took me to figure out a quicker way. smile

Chris

Picture of Rick Barnes

I don't use lessons very much but outside of them I always upload powerpoint by converting it to flash using open office, which gives very good quality slides but doesn't have the option to export each slide as a separate file which is what i think you are using jpg for. I cant see an easy way to create one swf file for each slide.

Rick.

Thanks Rick,
My site administrator is pushing for Flash and I think is trying to tell me that he can insert questions in it.   Perhaps  insert a flash  presentation  as part of a lesson page, which is then  followed by questions or what ever.

I am such a stick in the mud, all I see is a steep learning curve for the poor teacher who has just got the basics of PPT smile   My excuse is that we need to crawl before we start walking.   But I have the feeling he his going to be dragging me along in the next year down this path.

Hi Art and others,
I just added some quick instructions in MoodleDocs Import PowerPoint with a new section  " Legacy method of importing ".  Just in case a new user wants a tedious method of bringing in something like a screen capture of a page.  Sub sections for OOI and PPT, with link to Page Content which describes insert image process.

Jagged slides?  Hummm, don't think ours look very jagged, but we don't have a lot of fine "art" in our slides as some language teachers might use.   smile 

Art Lader
Documentation writers
lol

-- Art

Picture of David Levinson

When I import a presentation, Moodle gives me a blank page in the lesson after every slide with an image on it. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks,
David Levinson
Lake Forest College
Lake Forest, IL

Interesting, I noticed the same thing. I usually check lesson after an import for just those kinds of things, and make a note in the lesson description if I need to do more work on it. All this took place months ago and I discovered it when I went back to the lesson to add some questions prior to publication.

Strange the order on my lesson was: side, side, blank, slide, blank, slide, blank etc. Possible I inserted the initial slide which was different than the PP first slide. I will do some more research on the mechanics (not the code) later today.

Thanks for the post

Picture of David Levinson

I get comparable mixtures of slides and blanks. I found double blanks when a slide with image on it had an empty title box. Also, several presentations contained 50-100 blank slides at the end. Those blank slides were somehow created by PowerPoint during the Save As Web Page step. Is there a way to filter those too?
David Levinson
Lake Forest College

Picture of king marsh

It is so many theads in this discussion and I finally read them throgh.

I guess MS created strange html codings when you save as Html page. Even if you put it to web but no Moodle, it can not be played correctly in the browser.
We have the same problem when uplaoading to Moodle.

In addition to saving a PowerPoint presentation as a html page, you can also turn it to a flash file or SCORM/AICC course(Flash) then upload it to Moodle by Add Activity in Moodle.

http://www.ppt-to-dvd.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2141

Picture of Shalini Periyalwar

I am having difficulty importing either Powerpoint 2003 slides (saved as html and zipped) or flash (swf) files. The message I get is similar to what others have reported earlier "could not get data".

a) I tried with a single slide powerpoint file as well.

b) With flash, I zipped the folder (containing several files) that was created in the process of converting the ppowerpoint slides to swf format.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Hi,
My experience as a user with importing powerpoint says that when it doesn't work, I did something Lesson did not like. There are a lot of variables to consider, some of them related to the Moodle site, the version of Moodle, the version of PowerPoint, and perhaps the phase of the moon over Perth. Here is a baseline that everyone should be able to duplicate.

I just went on http://demo.moodle.org/
and imported the attached zip file. I created a new lesson and selected import powerpoint, Lesson found the data and tried to create the PowerPoint. "Tried" because it did not do a perfect job on each slide but It worked. It put #8226; as text in front of every bullet and the graphic images were not always positioned where I placed them.

It had no problems in creating the correct number of pages, creating the indents of text when I used bullets. I turned off page numbering, did not use any backgrounds. I will upload a copy of the powerpoint in another post after this one. I will also review MoodleDocs Import PowerPoint page to make sure it matches the steps I just took, including how to create a web page.

This was created with PowerPoint is 2003 (11.81209.8122) SP2 and came from Microsoft Office Professional Edition 20003.

Hopefully this is a good baseline test file and PPT presentation.

Best to all - Chris
Here is the 2003 powerpoint I used to create the zip files.

It has 5 pages that contain a combination of text boxes, bullets and images. It does not have background, page numbers, animations or transitions.

It did not import perfectly into demo.moodle.org version 1.8 Moodle. The pages with a title and a single image worked perfectly, as did a page with a title and a text box that did not have formatting. ImportPPT brought in all images but did not put them in their exact locations. It added "#8226;" as text in front of bullets and subbullets. The text was correct and indented.

I hope this helps establish a base for those trying to use ImportPPT.

Best Chris

Picture of Shalini Periyalwar

Chris

Thanks for your guidance. I downloaded the two files and reattempted with a brand new lesson created.. same problem. I went to importppt.php and found these lines of code that are called.

// first try to reall all of the data in $pageobjects = extract_data($rawpages, $course->id, $mod->name, $modname); // parse all the html files into objects clean_temp(); // all done with files so dump em $mod_create_objects = $modname.'_create_objects'; $mod_save_objects = $modname.'_save_objects'; $objects = $mod_create_objects($pageobjects, $mod->id); // function to preps the data to be sent to DB if(! $mod_save_objects($objects, $mod->id, $pageid)) { // sends it to DB error("could not save"); } } else { error('could not get data'); } echo "; print_continue("$CFG->wwwroot/mod/$modname/view.php?id=$cm->id"); print_footer($course); exit; } }

so what I see is the message 'could not get data' followed by "exit". So, it seems like the file is uploaded, but the "page objects " are not created? I haven't worked with code in a decadesmile  ... so that's as deep as I can get...

Please advise.

Shalini

Hi Shalini,
I am the same as you when it comes to code. FYI, I might change the error message to "ImportPPT could not get data" just to make sure that was what generated it. I think it has something to do with your Moodle site, perhaps your version of Moodle. I should ask, what version of Moodle are you using? What version of PHP and SQL and what kind of server? This will not help me but may help a developer in giving you a solution.

Just to show you that it works, go to http://demo.moodle.org/

Log in as Admin, turn editing on, add a new lesson activity. When the import power point option comes up, select the zip file I provided. It just worked for me.

So at least we know that ImportPPT does not have the problem there as it does on the Moodle site you are using. smile I am sorry that this bit of information is not going to be much help to you solving your problem.

Here is another option to try. Download a complete installation package for 1.8 on a standalone computer. Create a localhost Moodle site. Once you have the site up, try importing the zip file into a lesson. It should work. Now, see if you can create your own simple powerpoint (or open up mine in PP2003) and create a webfolder, which you will zip and then try to upload into a new lesson on your localhost. Hopefully that will work.

Maybe you can't create a lesson on your production Moodle, but can you restore the lesson you created on your localhost to a course on your production Moodle? Could be a temporary work around.

Sorry for long post. Hope this helps move you closer to a solution.

Picture of rongguang liu
回复: Re: Import Powerpoint html to lesson

Hello chris collman. I download  your providing ppt. I save it as mhtl.when I import it to lesson activity module ,it appears wrong information:
"PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature" . I try ziping  it and importing it ,But  the same error  appears.
why? I  Suspected that it can't importing ppt in lesson activity module.
I hope you can help me . thanks a lot! 

Re: 回复: Re: Import Powerpoint html to lesson
Greetings rongguang liu,
Were you able to import my zip file I posted in this forum on Thursday, 10 May 2007, 07:49 AM ?

Do not unzip it. Save it to your hard drive and don't change the name. Try to import this file to the lesson. It should work.

I used WinZip to create the file. I am not an expert on different types of programs that compressfiles, or which type can be used by Moodle. Maybe your Moodle site can not read a zip file but only a rar or some other kind of compressed file. I am not sure but the error message looks like it does not like your zip file.

You should try to used demo.moodle.org to see if your zip file will import to a new lesson there. You should see what my zip file looks like when it is imported there.

I forgot to ask, what version of Moodle are you using?

I will look for you next post. Best Chris

Picture of Brian Leveson

Hello Chris and anyone else reading.

I imported your zip file into moodle and it worked.

I cleaned out my powerpoint presentation of any animations or photographs and just left text.  Yet I still get the message about 'cannot get data'.

I know that this has been a long running saga and that the general advice is don't use powerpoint.  To be honest if I can't use animations and photos then I won't do it this way.  I just find it infuriating that I believe I am following the correct process yet still end up with a nul result.

Can you or anyone enlighten me?

Thank you

Brian

Picture of Robert Christie Collman

Enlightment? 42 is the answer to everything.

Just for giggles, is your PPT under 100k and would you post it?

I got the same error with your zip but mine worked. I opened up your outline.htm and found that there were some differences at the top of the file between yours and mine. (I believe that Outline.htm is where ImportPPT finds its answers. Strange, I didn't see 42 in either of then but I am real ignorant about the nature of PHP and the universe).

Yours said:
<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta name=ProgId content=PowerPoint.Slide>
<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft PowerPoint 10">
<link id=Main-File rel=Main-File href="../appraisal%20slideshow%20show%20no%20anime.htm">
<link rel=Preview href=preview.wmf>
<meta name=Robots content=NoIndex>

Mine said:
<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<meta name=ProgId content=PowerPoint.Slide>
<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft PowerPoint 11">
<link id=Main-File rel=Main-File href="../Import2003_test5_files.htm">
<link rel=Preview href=preview.wmf>
<meta name=Robots content=NoIndex>

I looked at slide0003.htm in both our folders. The above information was repeated in them.

Hope this gives somebody some ideas.

Clint

I have the same error as several others.  I get a message cannot get data.  I cannot ocate the plugin.  I am very new to Moodle so be very basic with me. Here is the zip I was tryng to upload.
Picture of Robert Christie Collman

Hi Clinton,
FYI you did not create a folder of webpages. Go to http://docs.moodle.org/en/Import_PowerPoint and follow the instructions.

You only had one file in the zip which I think means you might have highlighted one of your slides. I use preview mode, with the slide tab on the left. I make sure I click between the slides, or do a ctrl A to select all the slide. Then create a web page.

This will at least get you to where we are banging our heads against the wall.

Best Chris

Picture of Debbie McDonald

I tried changing the code in PowerPoint to US-ASCII and that didn't seem to help. I am still not able to upload files, I keep getting the error: Can not upload data.

I also made sure that I followed the directions from http://docs.moodle.org/en/Import_PowerPoint

We're using 1.9.2 and have tried both Office 2003 and 2007.

Picture of Victor Law

I have using flash instead of powerpoint for presentation.

Using the program to change it to flash and plug in the classroom will save space and run smoothly.  See whether it helps.

Web 2.0

We are experiencing the same issue in Moodle 1.9.3 I followed the instructions to the letter and still get the message "Can not upload data." Any help is greatly appreciated.

Picture of Christopher Sanderson

Not sure if this has been resolved, but I'm having the same problem. I look forward to any guidance.

Hi,
I have been working in 1.8 and 1.5 (yeah and this is 2009), but I also have a 1.9.1 production site and local host site. My simple importppts seem to be working there.

However, I basically gave up in trying to import text I received from a content provider. It was in OOwriter, had to be saved as Word, headings (Level 1 and Level 2 only) reviewed very carefully, then exported to PPT. Headings were a PAIN and exporting to PPT very touchy on a longer document. I have fewer problems if I create the content in Word starting with a blank document.

Plan B was a cut and paste from a .txt (no formatting) file. I created close to the correct number of lesson pages by creating a PPT that only had page titles in it, then importing that into Lesson. Page titles were Page 1, Page 2 and etc. Was taking me about 30-45 seconds a page to do a find page, edit mode, cut, paste, save. NOT MY IDEA OF FUN.

Think this unenlightened hacker will revisit importppt this summer. I now have Office 2007 and think I will be tasked with upgrading the 1.5 production site with 2500 users to 1.9.x. Good motivators.

I hear you about text import and feel your pain. See my recent post about importing screenshots of your ppt pages as images FYI: Import images hack - Retested in this forum.

Best Chris

Picture of Jim Manson

I am having problems importing PowerPoint into a lesson also. I'm using 1.9 and running it on a local host. I have office 2007 but am saving it as a 97 - 2003 version. I am zipping the files folder that was created when I saved the ppt as a webpage. When I do the upload the next screen states "could not get data" Help is needed as this is my first time using Moodle.

Thanks,

Jim

Web 2.0

Jim, the key is to make sure that your PowerPoint is very simple. See below...

Tips (From another forum)

1. Keep it simple, text only is best
* No page numbers (see masterslide)
* No text boxes with graphic or filled backgrounds
* Masterslide content will not import, but delete all the footers
* Watermarks and text over graphics is probably not a good idea
* It will import some bullet formats but not all
* It probably does not like "special characters" (any non-english letters)
2. Graphic images can be imported as a part of the presentation but
* Graphic images will have to be moved in the Lesson page
* More than one graphic image might not always import to a Lesson page

Then you will need to modify the pages in the lesson after the intial import to get the desired results.

Picture of Jim Manson

Don,

I tried a 1 page ppt with 2 words on it and got the same error message.

Jim

Sybille

Hi,

I've also got some troubles when it comes to importing ppts into a lesson. We're using Moodle 1.9.5 at the moment.

We followed all the steps provided in the instructions from Moodle docs (keep the ppt very simple - we tried it with 2 slides including only a heading and 2 lines of text each smile, save it as a website and create a zip-archive).

After setting up the lesson we tried to use the import function to upload the zip file, but after pressing the upload button we only get the attached error - or rather only a continue button, and after pressing this button we get thrown out of our course.

Has anybody encountered this problem as well with Moodle 1.9.5? And even more important: Any ideas how to overcome this problem?

Hope somebody from our community can help smile

Best wishes,

Sybille Zederbauer
Alpen-Adria Universität Klagenfurt
Austria

Picture of Lynn Scarlet Clark

I had the same problem - I think it comes from the fact that you have a newer version of Office (I guess you're using 2007??). I also tried downgrading the original powerpoint to a 2003 version file, before saving to HTML and then zipping. But this did not work either.

I'm afraid I did not come up with a solution. If anyone you know has an earlier version of Office, it may be worth building (or opening in and re-saving) in this version.

In the end, I simply cut and pasted the text from each PPT slide into the lesson page. To keep the powerpoint slide feel, I created a table with one cell (effectively 1 row and 1 column) and set it to 100% width and 100% height and set the cell background to an image which matched the slide background. Then I could put all the text over the top of this background.

I know this isn't a real solution but it did work for me, and because I only cut and pasted it wasn't a huge amount of extra work. Let me know if you find a solution or this works for you.

Picture of Seth Maxwell

Thanks for the reply Scarlet. I tried everything I could find here or on the web to no avail. I wish Moodle would remove the "Import from PowerPoint" link since nobody uses pre-office 2003 anymore, thereby reducing this feature to nothing more than outdated code. My next move is to download a free-trial app (like Articulate) that will convert PowerPoint files to flash (or some SCORM-compliant format) and try importing that. The copy/paste method is just too time-consuming for the amount of files/slides we're expecting to deal with here.

Cheers,
Seth

Picture of Lynn Scarlet Clark

Seth - I've not tried this (as I went with the cut and paste option!), but I was sent this link when I was searching for a solution. Look at option 2 (option one just explains the normal Moodle upload PPT to lesson instructions):

http://www.sameshow.com/other/moodle.html

Picture of Seth Maxwell

Hey Scarlet, thanks, but I did indeed try that approach already to no avail. I even zipped up a ppt with only a few slides containing only simple text and a graphic or two, in both 2003/2007 office versions, and with and without the php code hack they suggest, with no consistent results. The closest variation of the above managed to get a few branch tables created for a couple of the slides and one image uploaded, but overall was missing at least half of the content.

I'm searching the forums now to see if anyone has had problems using Articulate 9 to export PPT presentations to SCORM and import into Moodle 1.9.x. So far so good. I'll probably download a trial soon and try it myself.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Hi Seth,
I am at work using PPT 2007. I progressively added to a .pptx starting with 4 pages and saving it as webpage, then sending the folder to a compressed file, then creating a Lesson in a Moodle 1.9.5 (Build: 20090515) local host.

Here is a screen shot from my last attempt in a lesson called 7 page test. In pptx, I typed in a title then used the insert picture link in the next block and put in the 42 graphic.

It does not like bulleted lists, it does not seem to recognize a text box when a picture is inserted. I inserted another page in the pptx (8). I put in a title. I typed in 5 lines in the "click to add text " text box. It automatically created bullets.
I copied that page to create another slide and removed the bullets (9). I copied the slide, reduced the text box and put a picture below it (10).

In page 8 I only saw the title I typed. In page 9 I saw the title and the 5 lines of text. In page 10, I only saw the title and the image (similar to the image below).

Absolutely not friendly but that is what it does for me consistently. Taking someone else's ppt or pptx always seems to have something that violates a rule and is equally as frustrating. I know this does not help and "option 2" may be easier.

Best Chris

Re: Import Powerpoint html to lesson- my process
Hi Seth,
I guess I know a bunch of nobodies because I work with several groups that do not use 2007 and probably will be using XP into the 22nd Century smile At one of my work locations, I have 2007 but at home 2003. I really get confuzled some times.

Here is my lesson creation process I use in both Moodle 1.5 and 1.9.5.

I have made 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 more or less blank PPT zip files via PPT 2003. I have those everywhere so they are always where I can get them. I import one of those when I create the lesson. I only want a page number in the title and a next and previous button on the bottom. The zip files do that for me. Then it is copy and paste at a workstation that does not promote carpel tunnel syndrome smile

I have also discovered that moving my instructors Word and OO documents to Google Docs is worth the effort. Google Docs is more Moodle friendly and does a good job in getting rid of all that excess HTML code and formatting translates better.

I create/move/edit the page titles in Google Docs and maybe reformat things that did not translate well from Word or OO versions.

In Moodle, I work from the lesson preview mode and use the update page button. I copy the title and page content from GoogleDocs and paste all of it in the page content area of the lesson page in edit mode. Then cut the page title out of that area and paste it in the page title area. Then I save the page. This brings me back to the page in preview mode where I can see what it looks like. Then I click on the next button and repeat the process.

I make sure my Lesson Questions are in Gift files and insert them where indicated by the instructor.

Then I turn it over to the instructor to bend fold and mutilate as they wish. Some will go in and add pages, change jumps but most of the time I get a thanks with a few tweaks to language. Boring stuff but that is life in certified training.

We are almost all text based content. But in my Lessons, I zip all the pictures, upload them into a course folder, then in collapsed edit mode find the page and insert the picture(s) as a separate process. It helps me establish a rhythm.

Hope the above helps others who have to do a lot of this kind of work.
Chris

Chris

Picture of Seth Maxwell
Re: Import Powerpoint html to lesson- my process

Thanks for the suggestion Chris! I do agree that lots of folks still use office 2003 (I had stated "nobody uses pre-2003 office"), but either way, it looks as though the import powerpoint functionality is not very reliable, so I'll be looking for a SCORM based solution since that import functionality appears more reliable (I hope).

Thanks for sharing the very nice click-savers, although I've pretty much resigned to using Articulate as the go-between, especially since I have a lot of embedded images/videos to consider.

Cheers,
Seth

Sybille

Dear Scarlet, Seth and Chris,

thanks for sharing your experiences smile For the moment, I'll recommend my colleagues to avoid the import function and copy and paste instead.

BW, Sybille

Picture of Antonio Guerrieri

Hi all,

I'm approaching to moodle and I have the same problem of you:

How to insert a PPT in a Moodle!

I tried to follow what you wrote, but the result I have is not that good.

My question is: what is the logic of the plugin which let me import html files?

I see that if I export the html from Open Office I have a very simple sequence of

html files with only an image inside, but for moodle it is not good.

Can I import a sequence of gifs?

Sorry if I'm not that clear.

Please, let me know.

Cheers,

Antonio

Picture of Terry DeHoyos

Hello Antonio,
You mentioned html and Open Office and that's what I use to embed a PowerPoint into Moodle but I don't use a plugin. I needed a method that did not require modifying php files or anything on the server.
Here's how I embed a PowerPoint:
Create a folder on the desktop. This is where all of the files will be stored.
 In Open Office open your PowerPoint file and Save As (another name to keep your original file in tact), File, Export as html ( "html" -there are other options but this is the one I use).
These are the other options I select or de-select (untick) when going through the series of pages:
New design - next
Sandard HTML format
I untick the create title page and show notes. - next
Save graphics as png
Medium resolution 800 x 600
No effects - next
Choose buttons - next
Apply color scheme from document - next
Create.
Name html design - no

Go to the desktop and open your folder, look for your file name with the extension .html. Open it and take a look at the results. I compress the folder and upload it to Moodle, now unzip, go to the folder and click on the html file again. When you do this, copy the the URL. Go to the page you are creating, let's say Compose a webpage, in the html editor embed this code and insert your URL:

<object width="700" height="600" align="middle" data="YouMoodlePageURLGoesHere">&nbsp;
  </object>

I've used this method in Lessons, Compose a webpage, and on Online Text assignments. It worked like a charm until recently…I had my first conversion that did not transfer correctly. The graphics were out of place. Other than that though, it' really neat! And, just a few days ago I tested it on the iPad and it works very well.  
The only drawback is that if you need to revise the PowerPoint, you have to repeat the process. This is the reason I came to take a look to see what the alternatives are.
I hope this is helpful.
Terry