Ideas for Alternatives to SCORM

Ideas for Alternatives to SCORM

by V Martin -
Number of replies: 6

Folks,

Would anyone know of an alternative to SCORM?

With the recent versions of Moodle not supporting SCORM I am trying to work around it. I provide Government Regulated training. My courses are simply a series of units (3-5 per course) each units is a SCORM presentation with a short quiz at the end, once complete the next unit unlocks. The student continues through the units till at the end they complete a survey / assessment of the course and once complete, they get a certificate via the certificate module. I then upload marks and completion status to the provincial government.

I can use the SCORM packages as just presentations and put the quizzes in Moodle (in fairness, as suggested by my Moodle Partner). Seems like a done deal, unfortunately there is no way to really control completion. In my current experiments, the SCORM (which not just a flat presentation with no intelligence) placed in a FILE ACTIVITY, must me completed before unlocking the quiz (which now sits in Moodle). unfortunately, the only option I have for completion is that the presentation (SCORM in File Activity) is "viewed". A view can be achieved simply by opening the presentation. I have no way to ensure the presentation is actually sat through to the end.

In the SCORM activity, I could ensure that the next activity won't unlock till a minimum mark is achieved (in the SCROM pkg), using the SCROM as a presentation in a File Activity removes this control.

Does anyone have any advice or options for me. I'm pretty new to Moodle, so don't know all the capabilities of the software. What I need to do is ensure that my presentations are run from front to back before the quiz can unlock. A simple task for SCROM, without it however, its a mountain I've been unable to climb.

Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to V Martin

Re: Ideas for Alternatives to SCORM

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Vaughan,

I use a combination of the Lesson, Forums, and Quiz activities along with completion tracking to restrict access to whatever comes next in the course.

HTH,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just noting for others reading this discussion that SCORM is definitely supported in Moodle (see SCORM FAQ for details) and that the SCORM activity is used a great deal.

However, as mentioned in another discussion https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=245635, there is an issue - MDL-43222 - which two people have reported and which will be investigated early next year.

In reply to V Martin

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it sounds like you are using multiple SCO's...an alternative to totally quitting SCORM might be to cut the big project down (so three discrete modules rather than one) and setting subsequent modules with restrictions (must be marked completed, must have a passing grade, etc).

I like to get item analysis on quiz questions to assess where we're at with staff understanding, so I've quit using quizzes in SCORM and put my quizzes in the quiz module and have the presentation portions with interactivity in SCORM and that works pretty well.  But not all SCORM authoring is created equal, so results vary by application and developer.  I'm a big fan of Lectora...but have also used Captivate and iSpring (and eXe a little).  Just because they all package as SCORM, doesn't mean they all act the same.  I just got a package from an outside source that won't open in Firefox (which I find to be totally weird).  Different tools behave differently.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by José Miguel Andonegi -
Hi! Our contents are created with exeLearning, and now we publish them as websites (just html) Moodle's Quizzes are much better than SCORM quizzes and we meassure student's learning upon what they do (create), not upon what they click (consume). Anyway, it's funny to see how important is SCORM for some institutions and how reluctant they are to spend some money improving the Free software tools they get for free.
In reply to José Miguel Andonegi

by V Martin -

Jose,

Thanks for your input. unfortunately, I run regulated, government approved training and I must ensure that students view all their content. I need to ensure the student doesn't skip the content and go strait to the quizzes. I will add Moodle quizzes in exchange for SCORM quizzes but I cant ensure that the content is consumed before the quiz.

I would fund a fix for the SCORM pack If I could generate income from the on-line courses I'm trying to create. However, I've just spent $6k on a Moodle Partner and I haven't delivered one course yet because I'm hung up on this issue. If I can't get past this technical issue I can't generate income, if I don't generate income I can't continue to pay. In addition, while I spin my wheels, I'm not generating any income in the real world either so not only am I not generating income, I'm presently loosing money as I continually burn my time.

I didn't get my tools for free, I've paid my dues thus far. However, in exchange I've only got frustration.

In reply to V Martin

by Andre Paz Leal -
V Martin, can you share your email with me so that we can talk about scorm alternatives? I´m looking for something that can be build straight in moodle as a lesson without having to use some authoring software. You can get my email on my profile.