Error Message - Importing Course Data and Duplicating Course Material Using Back Up and Restore

Error Message - Importing Course Data and Duplicating Course Material Using Back Up and Restore

by Carly White -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all,

I have been following the user guides to attempt to duplicate courses and import course material into new courses but have had very little success.

I am receiving the following error message when I try to perform both of these actions:

This backup file has been created with one development version of Moodle backup (2008111700). Minimum required is 2010072300. Cannot be restored.

Any ideas? Please note that I am not terribly technical and so layman's terms for any explanation would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Carly.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carly White

Re: Error Message - Importing Course Data and Duplicating Course Material Using Back Up and Restore

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Carly,

first of all, there is some important information missing in your message and it's which Moodle version are you using to import/restore that backup. Depending of that, some of the thoughts below could be inaccurate.

Said that, assuming that your backup is really old (pre 1.9.x) I'd try to follow this path:

1. Install a 1.9.19+ Moodle Site.
  2. Restore your course backup on it.
  3. Upgrade the Site to Moodle 2.x.y (better some currently supported version, like 2.5.x or 2.6.x). Note that you may need to do that in multiple steps (1.9.19+ => 2.2.11 => 2.x.y.
  4. Make a backup if the course.

This backup should work without problems in any 2.x.y (and recent) Moodle version and no information should be lost in the process.

There are other alternatives, but I think the one commented above is the safest in order to keep all the information present in the the backup file.

Hope it helps, ciao smile

Edited: I'm moving this to the backup & restore forum.

In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Re: Error Message - Importing Course Data and Duplicating Course Material Using Back Up and Restore

by Carly White -

Hi Eloy, have taken a look and I am running 2.5.1+ (Build: 20130905) - does this rule out the suggestion you have made above?

In reply to Carly White

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

> does this rule out the suggestion you have made above?

No, I think that the 1-4 steps above should be ok for 2.5.x. Just 2 comments:

• Ensure no contrib plugins (add-ons) are included in the original backup. If so, every install/upgrade step should also install/upgrade them.
  • If possible, move to 2.5.3+ or, better, 2.6+

Let's see in which step you end stuck (hopefully, you won't). Ciao smile