Moodle 2.7 requirements: databases, libraries…

Moodle 2.7 requirements: databases, libraries…

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi developers,

this is a heads up about the general requirements for the incoming Moodle 2.7 (to be released along May 2014). For more information, you can look in the Tracker @ MDL-42931.

For discussing about the PHP version, please, do it @ Moodle 2.7 requirements: PHP version. This discussion is about all the rest of requirements.

These are the minimum requirements that are being evaluated right now:

• Databases supported:
  • Move zlib from recommended to required.
  • Warn if using old IIS (<7) or non FastCGI modes.
  • Slasharguments or URL rewriting required.
  • Default memory limit 96MB (note that by using any opcode cache, memory use is significantly smaller).

And that’s it all. Feel free to comment, share, amend, discuss or object about any of them.

TIA and ciao smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Re: Moodle 2.7 requirements: databases, libraries…

by Andrea Bicciolo -

Hello Eloy,

The minimum requirements for databases looks good for me, proposed versions for MySQL and MariaDB are also slightly below the versions available for clusters, so my +1. For the default memory limit, 96MB as minimum looks reasonable too, and yes, using OPcode cache memory footprint is much smaller smile.

In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I see more and more mentions of MariaDB on the Web and in some Moodle discussions.

Does this mean that MariaDB is going to be fully supported by Moodle 2.7 (or maybe is already supported by existing versions)? And does it even mean that MariaDB is going to be "promoted" as being a good choice for a Moodle database e.g. as a replacement for MySQL?

Joseph

PS.- @Eloy, if you prefer, move my post to a new "MariaDB" thread.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Ryan Smith -

MariaDB is already officially supported in Moodle 2.6. MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL so you can just replace your MySQL files with MariaDB and everything will work seamlessly. We have been using MariaDB since one of the early Moodle 2.5 releases.

Going forward, I would expect that almost everybody will move to MariaDB so they don't have to support Oracle.

In reply to Ryan Smith

by Michael Aherne -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption! At our university, the fact that Oracle own MySQL was one of the key reasons our infrastructure guys chose it over PostgreSQL for Moodle. They already have support contracts with Oracle so it made a lot of sense, and I'm sure there will be a fair number of other institutions in this situation.