Grade Me Block Help Please

Grade Me Block Help Please

by Simon Hall -
Number of replies: 4

Hello Everyone,

I have recently installed the Grade Me block (Using Moodle 2.3), but am having difficulties getting it to pick up any assignments in a course.

I have read that it needs to work in group mode, is this correct ? I have visible groups enabled on the course and the assignment but all I see in the block is 'Nothing to grade'.

Can anyone point me in the right direction at all ?

Regards,

Simon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Hall

Re: Grade Me Block Help Please

by Matthew Lowe -

Hi Simon. 

I have experienced a very similar thing in 2.6. According to my testing it doesn't seem to matter if the students are in groups or not (may be 2.6 version).

For me there were two issues: 

1. The first was that as I am the Administrator and not a teacher in any courses, all I saw was the smiley face and the text 'Nothing to Grade!

To fix this I went to: 

Administration > Site Administration > Plugins > Blocks > Grade Me and Checked the option for 'Admins View All'. 

This allowed me to see all ungraded assignments across the site.

2. The second issue that I encountered was when a teacher was not seeing any ungraded assignments for her to grade when we knew that there were many ungraded assignments in her course. 

This was being caused by the assignments using a custom scale for grading. 

Grades for assignments are stored as numbers in the database as 1-100, 0 for 'No Grade' and negative numbers for grade scale items (i.e. -1 or -7).

The assignment plugin in the 'Grade me' block will only return items where the grade field in the assign database table is greater than 0. 

The code can be found in:  blocks/grade_me/plugins/assign/assign_plugin.php on line 56:

WHERE asgn_sub.userid $insql AND a.grade > 0

The AND a.grade > 0 means if any of your assignments have 'No grade' or a scale set for for the grade then the assignment will not show up in the 'Grade me' block.

To fix this I simply commented out the 'AND a.grade > 0' so the line in the code now looks like this:

WHERE asgn_sub.userid $insql /* AND a.grade > 0*/

Alternatively, if you want to exclude any assignments that you are not grading (No grade), then you could use this:

WHERE asgn_sub.userid $insql AND (a.grade > 0 OR a.grade < 0)

Hope this helps.

In reply to Matthew Lowe

by Marc Hermon -

I have been waiting for this solution for over a year. THANK YOU! However, here is my other problem.  I do mostly formative feedback on my assignments so I have a custom scale of QED and NOT YET. QED means I have checked their work off as acceptable.  So basically when a student submits an assignment I either assign a QED which means it was all done correctly or a NOT YET and then give them some feedback on what they need to do to improve their work. Now that I have made your change to the code all assignments that I have not checked yet finally showed up. Awesome! However any assignments that I have checked and given a NOT YET are not showing up even though they have been resubmitted for me to check again. Is there an easy fix for this also?

In reply to Marc Hermon

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Marc,
You should be able to get them to show up for regrade by setting the assignment to automatically reopen if the minimum grade to pass is below a certain level, in this case QED. When the student resubmits it will show up again in the Grade Me block.

Since it is a scale you are using you do need to make the change to assign_plugin.php that lets assignments using scales show in the Grade Me block. I use a slightly different version of it so that I see assignments with scales or points and assignments that are set for None do not show at all.

I use: WHERE asgn_sub.userid $insql AND a.grade <> 0

Instead of: WHERE asgn_sub.userid $insql AND (a.grade > 0 OR a.grade < 0)

If you make use of the assignment Submit button, like I do, then you can use this version to eliminate assignments that have been uploaded, but not submitted.

WHERE asgn_sub.userid $insql AND asgn_sub.status = 'submitted' AND a.grade <> 0

Note: If anyone is using the old Moodle assignments, they need the same change made to assignment.plugin.php

By the way, I have made a Grade Me plugin for the Journal, if anyone needs it.
HTH,
AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Marc Hermon -

First of all, thanks for responding! I have already done all of these things but to no avail. Since my scale is Not Yet and QED it correlates to a 0,1,2 so in the grade book I have minimum grade to pass set at 2. (They must keep working on the assignment until they achieve the QED) However if I assign a Not Yet and then the student tweaks something in the assignment and resubmits it, it won't show back up in the Grade Me Block. This stopped working when we went to Moodle 2.4 and the new assignment type. I think in the older version of the block it decided what assignments to put in the block based on time.marked and time.submitted. If the new time.submitted was after the last time.marked it would put it in the block for the teacher to look at. I don't think the new block is working like that and I can't figure it out.