Essential Theme Quiz Navigation Block Stuck on bottom

Essential Theme Quiz Navigation Block Stuck on bottom

by Ben Smith -
Number of replies: 16

The Essential Theme Quiz Navigation Block seems to be persistently stuck at the bottom right corner of my questions.  Each question shows a picture of an EKG, with width set to 100%.  Anyone else seen this bug?

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ben Smith

Re: Essential Theme Quiz Navigation Block Stuck on bottom

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That's probably because the block is in the footer-right block region, you need to enable editing and drag it back to the top of the page.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ben Smith -

Unless I am mistaken, this is not a real block and cannot be moved by dragging.

In reply to Ben Smith

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Depending on which version you are on you can drag it, but it will always find its way back to the default region, which suggests that the default region is set to footer-right

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Mary is correct, the footer blocks in Essential are 'real' blocks and the content can be moved.  However if it transpires to be 'side-post' then possibly a CSS issue, in which case please state Moodle and Essential details from their version.php files.

Have you read: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=245435 and checked to see if the issue happens on the Clean theme?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Evans -

Gareth, Ben is correct in that the Quiz Navigation block is a 'fake block' (another one!). But I did find that in 2.6 you can drag any block about - even the ADD BLOCK can be moved but always jumps back to it's default position.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ben Smith -

How do I drag the block (where can I edit quiz blocks)?  Of note: if I widen the browser the block intermittent pops up into position, go wider and it pops back down... I just built the server 2 days ago, newest moodle/essential versions.  

In reply to Ben Smith

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

To drag blocks, go to another page with the 'turn editing on' and then go back.  However, the widen browser bit does sound like a CSS fault.  Does it happen in the 'Clean' theme?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Evans -

Hi Ben, if you find that zooming the browser Ctrl + - works then it's probably your screen resolution is set to 1024 x 768 or less in which case using the zoom will work.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ben Smith -

Zooming doesn't change anything.  I'm thinking it's a CSS issue because I can drag the block into position after I enable block editing - but it remains at the bottom when I take the Quiz.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Mary, I'd forgotten that it was a fake block, but Essential does have three footer block areas at the bottom, so could have been placed there.

EDIT:

Please see here: https://github.com/moodleman/moodle-theme_essential/blob/ESSENTIAL_262/layout/includes/footer.php#L38 and included here: https://github.com/moodleman/moodle-theme_essential/blob/ESSENTIAL_262/layout/columns3.php#L111 and defined here: https://github.com/moodleman/moodle-theme_essential/blob/ESSENTIAL_262/config.php#L80

In reply to Mary Evans

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Mary, do you remember the discussion in MDL-41595?

The suggestion there was:

• Themes should be able to control which region fake blocks go into.
  • In the mean time, you can use a work-around, which is that it defaults to the first/last block region. (Sorry, can't remember which.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mary Evans -

Hi Tim,

Yes I do remember that, and this was my first thought its all to do with the Layout. But what I cannot decipher is which layout does Quiz use?  I'll go check this out in the QA site and find out which layout, if I can.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you go to Admin -> Development -> Debugging, then there is an option 'Show page information'.

If you turn that on you get info in the footer like "This page is: General type: admin. Context System (context id 1). Page type admin-index."

Note that for the quiz attempt page, the answer depends on what the 'Browser security' option is set to. It is either 'incourse' or 'secure'.

In reply to Ben Smith

by mart van der niet -

(Moodle 2.6+ (Build: 20131205), Essential 2013120200)

My workaround has been to change the  course layout setting (theme_essential | layout) on the general settings page of Essential from the default (not enabled) to enabled.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to mart van der niet

by Ben Smith -

So im not crazy, this is a bug?

thanks for the workaround.  Works here.

In reply to Ben Smith

by Raj Sam -

I was facing same issue. Enabled "Use Standard Course Layout" per suggestion and works good. Thanks for the work around.