Video authoring tablet

Re: Video authoring tablet

by Matt Bury -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Plugin developers

Most people are happy with using their phone/digital camera/webcam for short, simple, "one-scene" videos directly to a low-bitrate, web friendly format, uploading it to a CMS or LMS, and then embedding it in a page or activity.

On the other hand, video editing is one of the most resource intensive things we ask computers to do. I've managed to wreck 2 laptops (they overheated because laptops don't have adequate cooling) from using them for video editing and encoding.

Simply put, if you want to edit video, use a reasonably powerful desktop computer (e.g. Intel i5 or i7 CPU with 1GB dedicated GPU and at least 4GB DDR3 RAM, and a 64bit operating system) with sufficient ventilation/cooling systems. Most video editing software also makes extensive use of mouse and keyboard controls.

You'll also need adequate disk storage space for all your high-bitrate video rushes (you need higher-bitrates to get decent video image quality after all the editing, post-production, and encoding/compression to make it look good and stream/download easily on the web) and uncompressed audio files; they start to build up very quickly even for quite modest projects.

The opposite to this kind of setup would be an ARM SoC with 1GB memory and 64GB Flash RAM, with a 32bit operating system, with a touch-screen instead of keyboard and mouse... in other words a tablet.

The software options available for desktops will also be much better.

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)