Building a e-learning company around Moodle

Building a e-learning company around Moodle

by Tue Hellstern -
Number of replies: 1

HI,
I am in the process of building a web company offering e-learning in Microsoft Office. I have been looking at different LMS systems, including Moodle. For the moment, I using WordPress and testing Moodle on the site, but I would like to have it on in one system.

I have some questions that I hope some of you can help me with.

1. I have some shorts videos, 2 to 5 minutes, on different topic that are fee. I use them as a kind of marketing for the paid courses. Would it be possible to have a page – HTML – with the videos on. Maybe accessed true a menu point
  2. I have a blog in WordPress that I would like to keep, but I would like to have my entire site on Moodle – Is that possible
  3. I also need some pages, HTML, with general company descriptions, contact and so

Thanks in advanced
Tue

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tue Hellstern

Re: Building a e-learning company around Moodle

by Derek Chirnside -

Your three points:

1. Can be done, sort of.  It's less straightforward to do this cleanly and neatly, you need to do a few hacks and workarounds to get things user friendly, navigable and maintainable, but it can be done.  It is harder in core Moodle to set up a page with all the navigation (etc) as it is in Wordpress.  Basically, Moodle is not a CMS in the usual sense of the word.
  2. Unsure what you mean by this.  Moodle has some blogging functionality.  But it is not as complex as Wordpress.  If you mean "run a blog in wordpress" then there is a blog.
    But you could run wordpress in tandem: all your information pages etc, all your tasters, all your bog posts in Wordpress - then a Moodle site with the same design/branding as Wordpress, with the login and Pay Pal to collect fees off your clients, and your courses.
  3. Yes, sort of.  See answer to (1)

For what you are describing, one of the keys will be your choice of theme.  I'd suggest you check out the essential theme.  There will be some others coming off the press sometime (check out the themes forum) but at present, this is well maintained and looks nice, less 1990's than the average Moodle theme.

Good luck

-Derek