Certificate languages

Certificate languages

by Alyssa Leonard -
Number of replies: 2

Hello. I am currently developing a French version of a course on moodle to offer to users who would rather take that one instead of the English version. I'd like the certificate to be in French as well, but I know if I change the language strings, it would make any certificate on moodle be in French instead.

Is there a way for me to upload a separate certificate.php page in the mod/certificate/lang folder that has french instead, and then for me to select that page for the french course when creating the certificate? Or something along those lines?

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alyssa Leonard

Re: Certificate languages

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Alyssa,

It seems to me you are confused on how languages works now in Moodle

First for the certificate module itself, there is nothing to do, if you have several languages available in your Moodle site, you have nothing to change, and nothing to upload, just go to "Site administration" -> "Language" -> "Language packs" and update the French language pack, all French strings for the certificate module will be updated.

Then, if one of your users has selected French language (or if the French course force language to French for all participants) he will see the page for the certificate module in French, and he will get his certificate in French.

But maybe you want to go further and have a special template for your French certificate ? then you need to create a new subfolder in mod/certificate/type (for instance mod/certificate/type/french/) and put a customized certificate.php into this subfolder.

See docs at http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Certificate_customizing to learn how to customize a certificate.

Creating this new certificate template will have no effect on certificates in other English courses.

Of course when you will create your certificate in the French course, you will select this new template.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

Re: Certificate languages

by Alyssa Leonard -

Wow. This is way more simple than I had in my head. I'm not sure why I thought I had to do all that instead of just installing the language pack. Thank you!!