Moodle organisational/ architecture puzzle...

Moodle organisational/ architecture puzzle...

by Cyrus Tchar -
Number of replies: 9

Hi all, 

I have a bit of a problem to solve but cannot find a solution.. I am really a Moodle novice and wanted to know if anyone had already experienced this or could think of a way to resolve this puzzle.

We have an LMS for a business with many different outlets.

The courses are the same for all employees, but the problem comes that we want each outlet to have a seperate entity with all its employees and a manager with the rights of non editing teacher (being able to view the progress of their team, learning records etc.., add activities for their team, add new students, enrol them on courses, disenrol them etc..).

Above this, there are area managers, these people can view the learning reports of multiple outlets (by outlet summary or broken down by user, but not all of them. (they also have same rights as the site managers but overlooking many outlets.)

Then we have operations managers,  training managers who can view all of the areas, all the outlets and all the staff. They can view the learning reports broken down by area, by outlet or by student. They also have similar rights as the outlet managers.

Finally we have a HR who has all the rights as the above but can on top of this add courses etc...

All the rights etc.. are rather easy, but it is the concept of this hierarchy which I find very difficult to implement: Using Groups? Do Subgroups exist? Can courses be only for a group? Cohorts? Can groups be included into cohorts without having to put them manually one by one? 

Could anyone help me?

Thanks a million in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cyrus Tchar

Re: Moodle organisational/ architecture puzzle...

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Shameless self-publicity alert. Have a look at http://www.e-learndesign.co.uk/perficio-management-tool/

This is (very) soon to be released as open source on Github for anybody to use under the new name 'Iomad'. Obviously (I expect) no support is included (beyond the GitHub issue tracker), you buy that if you need it.

There are similar Moodle enhancements available elsewhere but you can work that out for yourself wink

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think it looks great and even greater for being released to the community but please, pray, tell where you got the name lomad from?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well... we needed a name that hadn't been taken on GitHub. After that it's Gaelic...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/iomad

Attachment iomad_logo.png

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ah! It might have helped if I had seen it was an i and not an L smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Cyrus Tchar -

Hi,

Howard, thanks for this, it looks rather interesting!

I will have a look at all this.

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Howard,

This is great news - a lot of us look forward to having such a great tool available as open source to the community. Please keep us all in the loop when iomad is becoming available.

Randy

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Howard Miller -

It's taken a bit longer than we hoped to straighten a few things out but we should be ready soon. It's not the only game in town of course.... wide eyes

by Howard Miller -

An early (Moodle 2.5 based) release of this is now available at https://github.com/iomad.   Please report any bugs you find in the Issues page on Github and we'll fix them as quickly as we can. 

Documentation is coming soon!!

In reply to Cyrus Tchar

by Paul Taylor -

As Howard says, there are other "games in town" and our ELIS (Enterprise Learning Intelligence System) has been available as open source since Moodle 1.8.

Paul