When edit a course in IE left blocks disappear

When edit a course in IE left blocks disappear

by Susana Caixinha -
Number of replies: 16

Hello,

I'm using Moodle 2.4.5 and I'm having a problem with IE (8 or 9 didn´t try with 10). When I try to edit a course, insert a file or other activity or resource, when I click in save and return to course the block of the left side disappear and a white space is in the right side of the screen. As the picture shows:

I have to turn editing on or refresh the page so that the left blocks appear again:

The theme selected and modified is Zebra theme but if I change to formal white with no changes the problem is the same. I have no problems with other browsers.

We are upgrading Moodle to 2.5.3, in a test server and the problem still remains, can anyone help me?

Many thanks,

Susana

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susana Caixinha

Re: When edit a course in IE left blocks disappear

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

It is difficult to tll what is causing the problem without knowing which theme you are using. If you could tell me the name of the theme or if it is a customised one, or were you downloaded the theme from I may be able to help.

However, general problem in IE tend to be more to do with your browser settings so please check that you are not in Compatibility Mode. To do this go to View > Compatibility setting and make sure your site URL is not listed. If it is then remove it. Next refresh your browser.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Susana Caixinha -

Hi Mary,

The theme we are using is Zebra, https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=theme_zebra we only change colors. But the problem is the same when I use the Moodle default theme Formal White.

I checked the compatibility of the browser and is the same with or without compatibility sad

Susana

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Can you check if this happens in Standard theme? 

In reply to Mary Evans

by Susana Caixinha -

Hi Mary...

unfortunately it happens, here's the image:

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

Just thinking this looks to me that it could be caused by copied text from a WORD document into the course page, where the formatting from the copied text is actually styling the page. This has been known to happen especially if you copy text from emails where the email client is Outlook or Outlook Express.

Could it be possible that a teacher has added some copied text this way?  It is easily done, as Microsoft WORD documents carry a whole lot of formatting which makes the files so big.

It's the only thing I can think of as I cannot replicate it in Formal White.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Susana Caixinha -

Hi,

No, that's not the problem in a blank course it happens too, when I upload a file, when I write in a label...

Could it be a plugin? do you know?

Susana

by Mary Evans -

It could quite easily be a plugin. That was going to be my next guess. Is there one that you have added recently or is an old one that could do with upgrading?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Susana Caixinha -

Hi Mary,

I found the problem. I have this lines in aditional HTML

<script type="text/x-mathjax-config">
  MathJax.Hub.Config({
    MMLorHTML: { prefer: "HTML" },
    tex2jax: {displayMath: [ ['@d','@d'] ],  inlineMath: [ ['@i','@i'],['$','$'],['$$','$$'],['\\[','\\]'],['\\(','\\)'] ] }
  });
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="xxx/lib/MathJax/MathJax.js?config=TeX-MML-AM_HTMLorMML-full"></script>

So that MathJax works. If I remove them IE works fine. but no formulas, or if I use the filter tex, they appear but not with a clean image.

Can You tell me if I can't use MathJax like that?

Thank you for you time.

Susana

by Mary Evans -

I don't know however Mauno Korpelainen may know more about this.

Send him a message I am sure he will help.

Glad you discovered the problem.

Thanks for letting us know.

Mary

by Mauno Korpelainen -

I have not seen this kind of thing before but my first thought was that you might have some content in the disappearing blocks that has grave accents (backticks)

`

that AsciiMathML is using as token because your MathJax configuration is set to TeX-MML-AM_HTMLorMML-full

Have you tried other configurations like config=TeX-AMS_HTML (or do you need also MathML and AsciiMathML) ?

You could also try to press F12 in IE and run script debugging to see if there are some conflicting scripts...

by Mauno Korpelainen -

My second thought was that this might not be caused by Mathjax scripts alone - it looks more like a css issue and could be caused for example by some timing issue or javascript conflict ( for example if your site is using jQuery to change css after normal css and scripts and moodle is using YUI / Ajax calls at the same time ) ???

But the only way to find the reason (why it happens only in IE) might be to debug IE scripts by F12

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/gg699336%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Susana Caixinha -

Hello Mauno,

I'm going to try to debug IE scripts by F12 and then I give you an answer.

thank you

Susana

by Susana Caixinha -

Hi Mauno,

The debug just give's me this message:

SEC7115: :visited and :link styles can only differ by color. Some styles were not applied to :visited.
view.php?id=3541

Susana

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Could your site have some IE-css-hacks ? Or some extra css files in addition to normal moodle css (theme css files)? Other custom scripts that control page layout?

What happens if you move MathJax tags from the Additional HTML in header (Within HEAD) to the 3rd box (Before BODY is closed) ?

by Susana Caixinha -

Hi Mauno,

Sorry for the delay...

We don´t have any additional CC or other custom scripts.

If I put in the 3rd box it simply doesn't convert the formulas. And Some teachers are complaining about the delay on showing the formulas, is this normal?

Susana

by Susana Caixinha -

Hello Mauno,

I wish you a great year!

We made an upgrade to our Moodle, now the version is Moodle 2.5.3+ (Build: 20131129) and the problem with MathJax and IE is the same.

Do you know if there is another way to integrate MathJax with Moodle?

thanks

Susana