2.4 Guest user access

2.4 Guest user access

by Velson Horie -
Number of replies: 3

I wish to give a course taster to potential students, who can choose to do the course on-line or on paper.

I should like to allow guests to see (at least one) Moodle quizzes, but not take them.   The support page says that

"Guests ALWAYS have "read-only" access, but cannot take the quizzes etc"

which is exactly what I want. But I cannot find a way to enable that access. When a guest user clicks on the quiz, he is directed to a login page, with a warning that he cannot access the quiz.

Have I missed a switch?

The first quiz is an introductory, taster, quiz.  It would be good if I could provide full access (take quiz, get feedback etc) to that quiz, but not to the remainder of the activities.  Is that possible, and if so how?

[Not sure where to put this query. If this the wrong place, let me know.]

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Velson Horie

Re: 2.4 Guest user access

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Velson,

Unfortunately it is not possible to allow guests to take a quiz. Please see #14 in the Quiz FAQ for an explanation why not, together with a workaround.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Velson Horie -

Helen

Thank you.

I thought that might be a problem, which is why I want the guest to have only viewer access.

Presumably if multiple visitors with the same un/pw combination tried to access the quiz at the same time, that also would lead to Moodle to have a headache. 

I think my workaround will be to create a separate course, cut down to those parts I am happy to release, that potential students will have access to.

In reply to Velson Horie

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Not sure if this would work but what if you tried giving guests the preview quiz role only on one specific quiz?