Names appearing in forum posts

Names appearing in forum posts

by Charles Grapski -
Number of replies: 2
Hi,

Some users are reluctant to have their full name appear on the internet (their last name) - and have asked me if it was possible to change this. (Currently one has included "XXX" as their last name to solve this).

I was wondering if:

1) There was a way to change the name - to the userid - which appears with a forum post.

2) Ideally - a way for the user to indicate their preference for forum posts - whether their name or their userid will appear.

Thanks,

Charlie
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Charles Grapski

Re: Names appearing in forum posts

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In admin >> configuration >> variables there is a setting where you can choose to display firstname and/or lastname.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Names appearing in forum posts

by Timothy Takemoto -

Hishashiburi

Is the ability to choose which names are displayed fairly new? I did notice it.

I wonder if it is possible to choose not to display either name or just whether the last name is displayed or not. I will find out soon. 

What I really wanted to ask is about the new as a function in 1.5.2

"Forum user posts page can be called without userid"

I am not sure what this means, but I guess it means that anonymous posting is now possible? Am I right?

I am wondering whether I am going to have to hack 1.5.2 to allow

1) Non logged in users to post to a help forum
2) Logged in users to post anonymously

Both of these functions are getting even more essential due ot the new privacy laws. Forcing students to express their opinions in front other others is now illegal, apparently!

We had a lecture from someone who said that it was illegal to hand back homework in a pile outside the lecturers door where the student had expressed personal opinions about something (about some lab work), since personal opinions are personal information.

I asked about the whole possibility of discussion (on or off line) and was told that it was not possible to force students to discuss, there must be anonymous alternative. It was agreed that anonymous forums were one way of achieving this. Wow!

Tim