No bold for Concepts in 2.5 Glossary?

No bold for Concepts in 2.5 Glossary?

by Paul Carter -
Number of replies: 10

Hello Moodlers,

Last year we made the jump from 1.9 to 2.5 and we're loving it, except for the appearance of the concept headings in the glossaries. I can't seem to find a way to bold the concepts so that they stand out as nicely as they did in 1.9 and still do in the Random glossary entry block on my course pages in 2.5.

Can someone give me some ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

In reply to Paul Carter

Re: No bold for Concepts in 2.5 Glossary?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Paul,

1.- Which theme are you using?

2.- Please post some screenshots showing the problem.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Paul Carter -

Hi Joseph,

Sorry about that, I should have thought to say. We just use the standard theme. I have taken the following screen shots to show you what I mean, the first is our new glossary in 2.5, the following is the old 1.9 version, and the last one is the Random glossary entry block that is on the course page in 2.5. What I want is the nice bold that you see on the concepts in 1.9 and the block, but I can't figure out how to do that when adding concepts to a glossary, I tried adding some HTML code around the concept, but the Moodle didn't seem to recognize it in that field (interestingly, it didn't display after saving the entry either). Any help would be great.

Thank you very much for your help and for your time,

Paul

In reply to Paul Carter

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Paul and thanks for the details.

Found the culprit. On the glossary display page, the concepts are displayed using the h3 header tag, which is normally bold. Strangely, in Moodle 2, in standard theme someone has decided to override the h3 header's bold attribute:

.path-mod-glossary .glossarypost .concept h3 {font-size: 1em;margin: 0;font-weight: normal;text-align: left;}

All you have to do to restore the bold attribute is to remove that override from yourmoodle/theme/standard/style/modules.css file, around line 113, as follows:

.path-mod-glossary .glossarypost .concept h3 {font-size: 1em;margin: 0;text-align: left;}

Please vote for my bug report MDL-43219.

Joseph

by Paul Carter -

Hi Joseph,

Thanks very much for your help, unfortunately, we still can't seem to fix the bug. My administrator Janis Fair is going to contact you with more details, but for now, I wanted to say thanks for your help anyway.

Paul

by Janis Fair -

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your help with this. As Paul mentioned, the solution you suggested above didn't make any visible difference to the appearance of the glossary concepts in our Moodle courses.

I also tried changing the font-weight to bold, changing the h3 tag to h2 and taking out font-size setting but none of these changes have made any difference.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions you or others have in regards to this.

Janis

In reply to Janis Fair

by Joseph Rézeau -

Janis, did you make sure to empty ALL your Moodle caches after applying my suggested patch?

Joseph

by Janis Fair -

Aha! That was my missing step. I've actually decided to switch the tag to h2 instead of h3 while I'm at it. I think that gives the entry the look Paul wanted. approve

Thanks for all your help with this!

Janis

In reply to Janis Fair

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Paul and Janis, please remember to add your vote to MDL-43219.

Joseph