Documenting progress by student

Documenting progress by student

by Sharon Betts -
Number of replies: 4
I have a StarOffice spreadsheet that students are going to use to document their progress in a list of technology skills.
How can I give every student the sheet and then enable them to periodically update their progress?
I can't get to each of them in their own WIKI -- it only allows me to set a text page as the start.
Any help would be appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sharon Betts

Re: Documenting progress by student

by Karrie V -

I'd love to be able to define a document as a start page of a WIKI as well this way I can create templates and students can edit their individual templates but others can view them as well. This would be useful for both spreadsheets as well as word documents (I sometimes create my documents using the form features for templates)

In reply to Karrie V

by Sharon Betts -
Does anyone have any idea how I can get this document available to each student for on-going self documentation?

Sharon
In reply to Sharon Betts

by John Concilus -
I am working on a module that is very flexible in tracking progress toward any goal. It is intended to track standard mastery, but the interface allows specifing what the goal/standard/skills are...as well as providing an interface for graphical data analysis.

The goal of the project is to allow data exploration in the context of standards progress. We are being very careful to make it as flexible as possible, and not only useful to our own purpose.

The module will be called DART (Data Analysis and Reporting Toolkit), and operate in a Moodle environment, or stand alone.

We are just beginning, but expect it be in beta by August. I'll be very interested to see what the possible uses others see for DART. Sounds like it would certainly do what you are looking for.

DART will allow instructors to set up the categories, import standards or other skill sets, specify what demographic and standardized test data is desired to be imported from a SIS (student information system), and then visually represent that progress in a variety of ways.

Student access and maintenance will be an option for those who want to utilize it in that fashion. Access will set to either instructor/moderator access only, or to student AND instructor acces. An export to Excel friendly format (tab text, CSV, etc.) is a feature we've already decided we need.

I will be starting a thread about this project with more details, and soliciting advice (and helpd?!?) in about a week.

A core team of five K-12 and university administrators is working with two programmers to put this together. Once it is "ready" and functional to the point that we need it to be for our own use, we'll post all the code and license it under the GPL.

We are also considering whether to try to have assignments in Moodle (of all types) inform the module of progress like a standards-based gradebook as well...but haven't gotten that far yet.

Hope this helps, even though it's not of immediate use. Stay tuned wink

JTC
In reply to John Concilus

by Susan Gould-Leighton -
Wow,
I am just starting to use Moodle myself and I also work as the tech integrator for my system. I have been searching the gradebook forums for several reasons. The module you are describing appears to fill my districts needs when they interate one more time. We eventually want to be all assessment to be strictly standards- based.
I noticed this post was from 2005. What has happened since and where can I learn more?
Thank you
susang