Moodle calculation for Assessment grade

Moodle calculation for Assessment grade

by Annette Knobloch -
Number of replies: 1

I went back to my Moodle course with hypothetical students. Background: It was quite challenging to acquire hypothetical students from campus tech support, and that took about two months. I am aware of only myself on my campus using Workshop. After tremendous time working through google links, the piecemeal information in Moodle docs and forums, the most helpful info was from McClelland at USCS, and from University of Lethbridge documents. I realized that trial and error was the only way to proceed and kept asking for hypothetical students in a hypothetical course, until tech support finally made that possible. Even with that, there is ongoing trial and error, both in my real Workshop and in the hypothetical Workshop. Current priority:  I need to know how Moodle calculates the Assessment grade (grading grade), in 2.4.4. I have searched for hours, days, weeks, and months. There is insufficient information, and unexplained notation, in the document at http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Workshop_2.0_specification . I am attaching the grade page from my hypothetical workshop with hypothetical students. Hopefully, someone who knows how to apply the Moodle calculation, through all the steps, will use the data to produce an explanation with formulas at every step, and with explained-notation (with precise use of parentheses to separate what terms are included within various math operations).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Annette Knobloch

Re: Moodle calculation for Assessment grade

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Annette

I'll be happy to try and do this. I agree, there should be such an in-built report in Workshop and it's on my longer term todo list. Meanwhile, one such case study will be good to have for reference.

However, to do so, I will need much more information that you submitted. What you attached in "Workshop grades_hypothetical students.docx" file is already the result. To be able to describe in details how the grading grade was calculated I will also need:

• Exact specification of the assessment form. That is, what grading strategy was used and how was the assessment form defined.
  • From your docx, I can already see how submissions were allocated for assessment. However, I will also need to know how each and every student filled the assessment form.
  • I will also need to know what was the "Comparison of assessments" set to when the attached grades were calculated (very lax, lax, fair, ...).

That should be all needed, if I remember correctly.