Backup doesn't work anymore

Backup doesn't work anymore

by Thomas Speck -
Number of replies: 3
I have a problem with the backupfuncionality of moodle. Since the last few day, the autobackup doesn't work anymore, and when I try to backup a course manually I get the following error:

• Creating temporary structures
  • Deleting old data 
    An error occurred deleting old backup data
The disks are not full (fullest is / with 54%), and even when I delete the old data I get that message.

The logfile (of cron-php) tells me scarcely more:

ERORR: Something went wrong while performing backup tasks!!!

What may be done to solve this problem?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Speck

Re: Backup doesn't work anymore

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Thomas,

the "Deleting old data" step does two different things:

• Delete old data from backup tables: Such tables are:

• backup_ids
    • backup_files (you should repair and empty (not delete!!) them to solve your issue)
  • Delete old files (used only in backup execution) from yourmoodledata/temp/backup (you should delete such directory completely to solve your issue)

Then, try backup again and everything should work fine.

Ciao smile

In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Thomas Speck -
Ah, thanks for your answer. I guess I have found at least one source of my problems. When I try to empty the backup_files table in phpMyAdmin, I get the following error:

MySQL meldet:

#1016 - Can't open file: 'mdl_backup_files.MYD'. (errno: 145)

I will try to stop the server and see if I can access the table.

It worked. The only problem was this table. With that one cleared, all works as it should.
In reply to Thomas Speck

by Ken Gibson -

Having the EXACT same issue....what do you mean by:

" will try to stop the server and see if I can access the table." 

When i stop the server - I lose access to the entire database.  I cannot clear this either, as it appears "in use" in moodle's mysql admin.

EDIT....i fixed it!  I had to scroll to the bottom of this screen and select "empty" from the table drop-down for: ken     

backup_ids backup_files

It now works!!!