Avoid proxy caches (and transparent proxies)

Avoid proxy caches (and transparent proxies)

by Oscar Garcia -
Number of replies: 3
I was a common problem with the transparent proxies of my ISP (telefonica spain). When I downloaded a newer version of a assigment I always downloaded the cache version of the file until the cache expired.

I write this patch to avoid that:

In upload.php:

if ($newfile_name) {
preg_match('/^(.*)([^\.]+)$/U', $newfile_name, $_salida);
$newfile_name = $_salida[1] .date('YmdHi'). '.'. $_salida[2];
unset($_salida);
if (move_uploaded_file($newfile['tmp_name'], "$dir/$newfile_name

With that code the $new_name will maintain the file extension but it will be preceded by year, month, day, hour and minute (seconds are unnecessary I think).

When a student upload a new file, the file name will always be different that the old one and will avoid proxy cache to send old cached files.

Comments? Suggestions?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Oscar Garcia

Re: Avoid proxy caches (and transparent proxies)

by Oscar Garcia -
We can prepend directly the date to the file name easily with:

if ($newfile_name) {
$newfile_name = date('YmdHi') .'.'. $newfile_name;
if (move_uploaded_file($newfile['tmp_name'], "$dir/$newfile_name

But I prefeer to prepend the date to the file extension than the prepend to the file name.

Best regards.
In reply to Oscar Garcia

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Rather than renaming the file itself, we could just put a random string in the call to file.php ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Oscar Garcia -
The problem is that we can (need) that proxies cache save a copy of this files y they are not changed.

If we put a random number en every download then the proxy cache misses all downloads.

Apending date to upload files we can also know the version or date it was updated if we save the assigments in hard disk.