Lost the splash Ajax-like pop-up screen of Grid format

Lost the splash Ajax-like pop-up screen of Grid format

by Frankie Kam -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi. 

I used to have the AJAX-like popup screen whenever I clicked on the image of the Grid format. Whenever I clicked on an image link on the grid, I got something like this (the image below is just an example so you will know what I am blathering about):

Ok, now back to my own screen. Here's what my screen looks like before I click on an image link...I then click on "1. Take the Test", and I used to get a nice popup AJAX-like window with the activities of Section1 of my Moodle coursepage displayed while the rest of the screen is dramatically dimmed.

..and then I get this which is correct, except that I don't see my splash screen anymore. So no more "popup window where the rest of the screen beyond the borders of the splash screen is dimmed" thingy. Somewhere along the way I lost it. I am using Moodle 2.5 with the latest, as for now, Grid format course format ($plugin->version = 2013110503).

Any ideas why this is happening and how I 'managed' to lose my splash screens?

Regards
Frankie Kam

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frankie Kam

Re: Lost the splash Ajax-like pop-up screen of Grid format

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Frankie,

That's because the course is in the 'Show one section per page' layout and not the 'Show all sections on one page' layout.  See the course settings.  I've often toyed with removing the setting as it causes so much confusion, but then thought as soon as I did I'd have people asking 'Where is the show one section per page option?'.

And umm, AJAX???  No AJAX here!  It's just send all the data on page load and JS UX interaction smile.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Gareth

Thanks for your reply. Ok, so no AJAX. It's JS UX then. So I've adjusted my Course settings as suggested.

And here's my Grid Course Format settings.

However, I'm still not getting just one section to show up in the Javascript UX pop-up thingy when clicking on the associated grid.

The screenshot above shows what happens immediately after I clicked on the "1. Take the test" grid icon/link. That's the red-border highlighted grid image of the person holding a pencil.  In fact, it makes no difference which grid icon I click. if I click on either the "2. Print your Certificate" or the "3. End the Quiz" grid icon, I still see the same JS UX window popup with all three sections' stuff displaying.

I used to have just one section's activities being displayed in the JS UX popup windows. Funny that I've somehow managed to lose the ability to display one section's activities/resources in the JS UX popup. I thought it had something to do with my theme, but I've tested an older version of my theme and the problem remains. 

Any ideas?
Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Frankie,

Ok, the shade box content works on JS controlling the 'display' attribute on the individual sections between 'none' and 'block'.  So any overriding specific CSS can cause this to break.  Make sure you have performed a 'Purge all caches' before testing again.  So, does the problem happen on a core theme?  If no, then investigate your CSS.  If yes, then please tell me the specific version of Moodle and the Grid format and if possible give me guest access to the course so I can see with Chrome developer tools to a certain extent what is going on.  Failing that, a backup of the course and theme so I can install locally and test.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Gareth

It's definitely my CSS code that causing the shade content to break. I've changed my user theme to binarius and aardvark and in both cases the shade box content works as expected and as designed.

The link to my course is:
http://www.moodurian.com/cefl/course/view.php?id=5
Username: student
Password: *sent to you*
If you have the time, I hope you can check it out via Chrome Developer to see which CSS is the culprit.

Regards
Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Frankie,

Thanks for the details, helpful.

Your theme appears not to be appending the standard class 'jsenabled' to the 'body' tag as initiated in the theme's layout by '$OUTPUT->body_attributes()' which somehow calls 'get_top_of_body_code()' in '/lib/outputrequirementslib.php'.  As this is a core method of determining if JS is enabled, Grid uses it.  I don't know your theme well enough to say any more.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Gareth Thanks for taking the time to check out my Moodle coursepage to see what's causing the problem. I've reverted to an earlier version of the Ergo theme that I am using. That solved it. Still dunno which was responsible for messing up the js ux. Either some CSS code that I added (I adulterated the original theme's CSS) in or some of the Javascript stuff. When I do know for sure, I'll post it here. In the meantime, stay calm and keep on truckin', erm, I mean themin'.

Frankie Kam