remind students to do the assesment

remind students to do the assesment

by Hiram Bollaert -
Number of replies: 2

Another feature I would like to suggest is a button in the workshop module that, when pressed, will generate a message to all students who have not yet assessed the work of their peers.

In our course of 12 workshops I find myself readjusting deadlines because students don't follow the deadlines for the assessment. Each of the students must evaluate 3 files from other students. When they fail to do so in time, some students don't receive a grade for the workshop.

And then I have to adjust the deadline and message those who didn't assess to do it asap. Or I will give them a penalty.

Cheers
Hiram

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hiram Bollaert

Re: remind students to do the assesment; your 12 Workshops

by Annette Knobloch -

I have 16 students in a current workshop. One was very late, and she is notorious for being late, and perhaps had a true family tragedy. Most were at least several days early. So I emailed some of the very early 'early birds' to ask if they would agree to reviewing an extra student, so that all persons who wanted to complete the assignment ahead of time would be able to do so. I am teaching RN-BSN, and the course is totally online. Most of the students work 12 hour shifts, in clusters of days, so when they get to course work, I like for them to be able to move on with the work, instead of having to wait.

Next, not sure if I understood properly, but if you have had 12 Workshops, how are you dealing with the Assessment grade (grading grade)? I also have set Workshop for each student to grade 3 other students. I have 2 cases where the grader was correct, but the other two graders in the cluster gave inflated grades and failed to recognize poor work. So the correct grader got severely penalized (possibly a letter grade, not sure yet, but looks like it could be), while the incorrect graders got nice, high assessment grades! So I went through trials and tribulations, added myself as grader and overweighted my self (a lot, to count myself as 8 or 12 persons)!, and/or overrode the low grader's correct grade to an incorrect, but fairer, high grade. For this, my 1st Workshop, I did not override the incorrect high grader's grade to a correct lower grade, in fear of appeals and law suits, given that Moodle does not provide a formula/specification/algorithm that can be explained to colleagues, students, lawyers, etc.

In reply to Annette Knobloch

Re: remind students to do the assesment; your 12 Workshops

by Annette Knobloch -

An additional problem is late submission. That was really my major problem, instead of late assessment. Although some of my current students have previous experience with Forums in Moodle in prior courses, where late submissions impact the progress of classmates, in Workshop, the impact seems to be more ominous.