Search results and auto-link display options

Search results and auto-link display options

Peta Stathamdən -
Number of replies: 3

Hi everyone.

I'm finding the Glossary brilliant, however, I have a few quirks I would like to work on. We are using Moodle version 2.4+.

• When search full text is unchecked, Moodle still seems to search full text regardless (e.g. search for telephone with search full text option unchecked, and you'll still get results in which telephone is not part of the keyword). Suggestions?
  • I really don't like the way that an auto-link appears. When a user clicks on an auto-link, It appears as a pop-up and is not scrollable (at least not horizontally). This is fine for short, text only entries, but not so great when an entry includes images or multimedia. I would like the auto-linking functionality so that:
    • an entry opens as a hyperlink on a new window or tab; OR
    • so that the pop-up is scrollable/can be expanded to the size of a full window.
      Has anyone succeeded in changing the way that auto-linked content appear?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Peta Statham

Orta qiymət: -
In reply to Peta Statham

Re: Search results and auto-link display options

Joseph Rézeaudən -
Core developers istifadəçinin şəkili Particularly helpful Moodlers istifadəçinin şəkili Plugin developers istifadəçinin şəkili Testers istifadəçinin şəkili Translators istifadəçinin şəkili

Hi Peter,

Point #1: how "search full text" works in Glossary

The wording of that option is misleading. Actually it means:

• Search full text not ticked = Search Concept (and Keywords) only
  • Search full text ticked = Search Concept, Keywords and Definition.
Point #2: how the definition popup is displayed

Prior to Moodle 2, the popup window was a "real" window, which could display anything, was moveable, resizeable, etc. That was extremely useful. Unfortunately, it seems that such popup windows are now deprecated (not only in Moodle but everywhere on the Web). In Moodle 2, the Glossary popup "real" window has been replaced with an AJAX pseudo-window, with very limited functionality, as you have found out. I very much lament that fact, and have protested (in the bug tracker), but to no avail so far.

In general, I am very irritated when an existing feature is replaced with a new feature which does not offer better or - at least - equivalent functionality.hirsliyəm

Joseph

PS.- I have numbered your 2 points for the sake of clarity. Please follow the usual "rule" on forums: only one point per discussion.göz vururam

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Peta Stathamdən -

Hi Joseph

No matter whether the Search Full Text option is checked or not, Moodle is still searching the Concept, Keywords and Definition. Have there been any fixes for this? I noticed there was a bug reported a while ago, but couldn't see any fixes.

I was also hoping to limit search results by searching using phrases. e.g. if I search for the term Change of Account, I would rather that Moodle search for 'change of account'. At the moment it seems to default to: 'change AND/OR of AND/OR account' I have tried using some of the techniques that would commonly be applied to Google and other searches (e.g. search for exact phrase) but all to no avail.

If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them!

Cheers and thanks,

Peta

In reply to Peta Statham

Joseph Rézeaudən -
Core developers istifadəçinin şəkili Particularly helpful Moodlers istifadəçinin şəkili Plugin developers istifadəçinin şəkili Testers istifadəçinin şəkili Translators istifadəçinin şəkili

Peta "No matter whether the Search Full Text option is checked or not, Moodle is still searching the Concept, Keywords and Definition."

Sorry, I cannot reproduce the problem you describe on my local moodle 2.4 site. Things do work as I described in my previous post.

Please post your exact procedure, illustrated with screenshots to prove your point.

Joseph