2.5.2 is so slow

2.5.2 is so slow

by Frank Ryan -
Number of replies: 8

I just upgraded to 2.5.2 and the performance is extremely problematic.

Are there any cache solutions in place or any internal settings in the admin panel that would help to speed things up?

This is not a hosting problem and I really hope that a simple solution can be found as otherwise the upgrade has been a mistake.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Ryan

Re: 2.5.2 is so slow

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

We need to know about your hardware, your operating system, what database you are using, what web server you are using and how it is all configured?  Have you done anything at all to diagnose the issues? How slow is slow? What is your page load time? What was it before?

You need to give us a clue if you want us to help wink

In reply to Howard Miller

by Frank Ryan -

Hi Howard, thanks. In truth I don't know the answers to some of those technical questions. Right now I can tell you that I am running Windows vista, page load time is roughly 10 seconds in comparison to perhaps 1 -2 seconds before and that I haven't done anything practical yet to diagnose the problem apart from consulting with my hosting company who have assured me that the problem is not with them. I can get further information if required but for now I am just wondering if there are anything that I can configure in the admin panel before getting into overly technical solutions.

In reply to Frank Ryan

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well they would say that.... wink

Firstly just check you haven't put it into 'theme designer mode' - that's quite a common one (but you would have done it).

After that, slow page loads are either (a) a server issue, in which case what is the server doing for those 10 seconds? (b) a very slow network connection - but that would be incredibly slow. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Frank Ryan -

Ok but Moodle 2.5 is a lot bigger and consequently slower than previous versions...right?

In any case are there any admin settings that would assist in general with regard to performance i.e. turning off features that are not crucial to the workings of the site but which might be causing delays etc? Also are there any cache solutions which could be used?

In reply to Frank Ryan

by Howard Miller -

The OU did some tests and found that 2.5 was 10% faster than 2.4. There's nothing inherent in 2.5 to explain this. 

I should have asked you what you upgraded *from*. If it turns out to be 1.6 then you might have a point smile

Cache can be an issue if disk performance (for the data root) is slow (e.g. NFS) but with a hosted site you are not going to be able to do much unless you have access to memcached. And even then, if it was slow because of that it would have been slow before. 

I suspect an error of some sort in the upgrade. Talk us through how you did the upgrade - and tell us what version you started with. 

In reply to Frank Ryan

by John Porten -

Frank - are you seeing the performance issues when logged in with an admin account, or with any user account?     

In reply to John Porten

by Frank Ryan -

Apologies for the delay in replying. I am still investigating this matter. I will reply shortly.