Confused about the gradebook

Confused about the gradebook

by Marco Del Percio -
Number of replies: 9

Hello,

I'm on Moodle 2.5.2 stable. Would you please help me to understand how to read the gradebook please?
I've created a sample course and I've added some activities in it then I logged in as a student and I completed the quiz/assignment.
I graded the assignment activity manually and then I opened the user report in the student gradebook.

While the final score for each activity make sense to me, I cannot understand how to read the grand total under them.
At the beginning I thought it was an average of all the final scores for my activities however it doesn't seem to be an average. Am I correct?

adding another quiz then the gradebook shows the following:

Also, as you can see the "Feedback column" is reporting the feedback only for the Assignment activity. Even if I was explicitily configuring a feedback (both question feedback and Overall feedback) for the Quiz activity apparently I can't see any feedback for the quiz activities in the gradebook.
How come? In the Quiz settings I have configured the Overall feedback for various grade boundaries and I can correctly see them after attempting the quiz, moreover in the quiz Review options the "Overall feedback" is configured to be always visible (also after the quiz is closed)...however in the gradebook report I am still unable to see any feedback for these activities.

Please help me to understand.

Thanks

In reply to Marco Del Percio

Re: Confused about the gradebook

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You need to read this: http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Category_aggregation

By default, the course total is calculated as a 'Simple weighted mean'. You can change it though!

In reply to Howard Miller

by Marco Del Percio -

Hi,

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction. Now it makes more sense, I had no idea of these grading strategies available.

What about the lack of Feedback in the feedback column for the quiz activities?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Click the "turn editing on" button - if I remember correctly. 

I'm not sure you can add quiz feedback (if that's what you mean) through the grade book, but you can add textual feedback to any grade - if you see what I mean. 

by Marco Del Percio -

I see...it's a bit confusing... it wasn't so intuitive cause for quiz the grading is supposed to be automated...I would rater expect to see the Quiz overall feedback there. Nevermind...

by Marco Del Percio -

I'm sorry but... I was thinking back to the simple weighted mean and... while I understand its mathematical meaning I don't understand why it is calculated in that way. I mean...

It is perfectly fine and useful to give a different weight to various activities (not all may have the same importance) however according to the way simple weighted mean works... the maximim grade is actually the activity-weight so for example... I created an assignment with the default settings in Moodle and its max was 100 by default, in the same way I created a sample quiz activity and its default max grade was 10...now if I have understood well this means that the Assignment has automatically a higher weight compared to my Quizzes..but is it just because the range of marks is wider?

If I choose that for an activity my granding range is 0-100 instead of 0-10 I guess it's mainly because I want more flexibility when giving marks (having 100 possible choices rather than only 10 possible choices) however this doesn't imply that an activity is more important than another... I might have a final exam (something very important) with just 10 questions which is supposed to be much more important than an assignment given over the course.

Do you get what I mean? If I really want to give a different weight to the various activities, then the teacher should choose the weight as a separate parameter of that activity rather than "interpreting the maximum grade as is it was the activity weight". Does it make sense?

by Howard Miller -

Absolutely no idea what the thinking behind it is - sorry. I've never graded anything in my life smile

Perhaps somebody more useful than me can help?

by Marco Del Percio -

big grin I really appreciate your sincerity Howard however regardless of your grading experience does it make sense to you what I wrote? Is that correct according to the way it works?

Thanks

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

(Moved to the gradebook forum as requested and I have let Marco know)

by Bob Puffer -
  1. This post should be in the gradebook forum, perhaps the mod can move it
  2. In order know what's going on we'd need to see the Cats and items screen to see how you've set up aggregation and other modifiers