Course Availability moved?

Course Availability moved?

by Justin Litalien -
Number of replies: 2

Hi folks, it took me 10 minutes and a quick search on Google to figure out that 2.5 has renamed and relocated the "Course Availability" option. I searched through the release tickets and saw no mention of this change.

The setting is now called "Visible" and its located in the General section at the top of the course settings page. Am I the only one who finds this a bit troublesome? I'm weary of all the phone calls I'll be receiving from my faculty when they can't find the setting.

Why wasn't this documented anywhere?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justin Litalien

Re: Course Availability moved?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Justin,

As you figured out, the 'Course availability' setting has been moved and renamed in Moodle 2.5. This was done as part of the course settings page improvements (MDL-38415), which in turn was part of the Moodle forms improvements (MDL-38012). Forms improvements are mentioned in the Moodle 2.5 release notes, however the individual settings name changes are not.

I have just added a note to the Course settings mentioning the previous name for the visible setting and have also mentioned it in 'Possible issues that may affect you in Moodle 2.5' in the documentation Upgrading to Moodle 2.5. Thanks for highlighting the missing documentation. smile

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Course Availability moved?

by Justin Litalien -

Hi Helen, thanks for the update. Glad to know I'm not crazy. Well, sort of still but that's another story ;)

In my dream scenario, that setting would be relocated for 2.5 but still contain the same text as previous versions. "Course Availability - this course is not available to students" (etc.). Once users get familiar with the new location, then maybe a later version could alter the text. 

Obviously, what's done is done, and I understand that. However, I tend to be more conservative with changes as the smallest and simplest tweaks tends to rile up our user base. Our campus isn't fond of "band-aid" changes where things are completely new and sudden.

Anyways, thanks for responding and updating the docs!