Table type question

Table type question

ved Sumanta Ghosh -
Antal besvarelser: 14

I need to implement a question type which is in a table form. Something like the table below where a student will be able to type in their answers in answer columns

Question A Question B Question C Question D

Question A Question B Question C Question D

I went through all the possible question types in plugin directory. Only spredsheet seems to be close but it's not what we need as its not controllable. Matrix question type doesn't have any description or images that I can get an idea from before installing.

Can anybody please help regarding this.

Thanks,

Sumanta

Gennemsnitsbedømmelse: -
I svar til Sumanta Ghosh

Re: Table type question

ved Frankie Kam -
Billede af Plugin developers

Hi Sumanta. I know you've provided a skeleton example. Perhaps you could give a more detailed example with sample text, so I can know exactly what a possible question looks like. 
Frankie Kam

I svar til Frankie Kam

ved Sumanta Ghosh -

Hi Frankie,

it didn't render my borders in previous post. Maybe this will explain it better

I svar til Sumanta Ghosh

ved Frankie Kam -

Hi Sumanta

The closest question type I came across that was the "Text Processor" question type from:
http://www.taringa.net/posts/ciencia-educacion/16776726/2-Nuevos-tipos-de-pregunta-para-Moodle-Hoja-de-Calculo-Word.html

Perhaps there is a way to build the tables manually using HTML and then embed 3 Cloze questions - one Cloze question per column. However, AFAIK, a Cloze question only accepts one line input, not multi-line input....

Still thinking about this one (very interesting to solve),
Frankie Kam, Malaysia

I svar til Frankie Kam

ved Frankie Kam -

If anyone comes across a multiline Cloze question type, please let me know. I haven't seen one before. Thanks.
Tried https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=151965 and came up empty. Tried to see if I could wrap the text of a long input box, but this link http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5981791/can-i-make-an-input-box-have-text-that-wraps shows that it is not possible. Perhaps the Moodle Cloze question can be hacked so that the input type can be substituted with a textarea type. Then we can fit one textarea Cloze question inside each column of Sumanta's table. Hehe. Do not disturb...genius at work.

Frankie Kam

I svar til Frankie Kam

ved Marcus Green -
Billede af Core developers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Plugin developers Billede af Testers

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for Frankie. If you have multi line gaps in a Cloze the chance of a student putting in all the right answers are somewhat slim. Or were you thinking of something that was marked by hand?. Can you give an example of the kind of question you were thinking of?

I svar til Sumanta Ghosh

ved Jeff Forssell -

You just need to put CLOZE questions into your table at the places where you want input.  (Depending on the size of the code, it can make the table distorted in the editing window. But when the question is displayed, the size of the CLOZE spaces are only a little longer than the longest alternative answer)

But I don't know how long answers you are wanting/expecting. The height of the answer space looks like you are expecting a longer answer. But if you are planning on an auto processed question, the answers are usually short.

I svar til Sumanta Ghosh

ved Joseph Rézeau -
Billede af Core developers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Plugin developers Billede af Testers Billede af Translators

@Sumanta,

This looks like a "question" with a number of "sub-questions". The closest match that exists in Moodle is the Cloze question.

Could you please specify the type of the "sub-questions" that you want to put inside your "question": multiple-choice, short answer (how long? one or more words, one or more sentences, etc.), numbers, etc.

It would also help us help you if you said why you need that table display, and give some concrete examples of data.

Joseph

Gennemsnitsbedømmelse:Useful (1)
I svar til Joseph Rézeau

ved Sumanta Ghosh -

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses .

I am expecting  essay type answers as this is suppose to be a nursing care plan sheet that a student needs to fill in and later an educator will manually mark them on the basis of their answer. At least 10 sentences would be there.

I will try Cloze but don't know if it supports essay type answers.

Thanks,

Sumanta

I svar til Sumanta Ghosh

ved Joseph Rézeau -
Billede af Core developers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Plugin developers Billede af Testers Billede af Translators

For Essay type questions, your only option is to use the standard Essay question type and create a quiz with your Essay questions being displayed one after the other. And drop the idea of formatting those essays within a table.

We regularly see on this forum people wanting at all costs to make a Moodle quiz look exactly like a paper test or exam. A better option is to take advantage of the computer/online features of a Moodle quiz to think differently instead of trying to reproduce the old.

May I - once more - point to my favourite writing on this topic, Colleges Should Tap the Pedagogical Potential of the World-Wide Web by ALISTAIR B. FRASER.

Joseph

I svar til Joseph Rézeau

ved Marcus Green -
Billede af Core developers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Plugin developers Billede af Testers

Or alternatively the assignment activity might be more suitable to the apparent goals. That article reminds me that the history of technology is the assumption that each new technology will be a version of the old. Films were assumed to be a way recording stage plays,  TV would kill the radio and Microsoft assumed that the Web was the new TV and gave us the short lived "channels" idea. There is an assumption among some educators that online learning and tools like Moodle will replace teachers. While this is entirely incorrect, it might result in more effort and money being put into such tools, which is nice.

I svar til Marcus Green

ved Sumanta Ghosh -

Guys,

I understand what you are try to imply here and totally support it. But am not the guy to take a question type decisions. I am trying to implement and help our educators achieve as much as possible without replacing teaching procedures. Its out of my boundary. So either its possible or its not. It's a shame cause this type of answer sheet is widely used and should try to come up with something.

Thanks,

Sumanta

I svar til Sumanta Ghosh

ved Joseph Rézeau -

Sumantha "I am trying to implement and help our educators achieve as much as possible without replacing teaching procedures."

I suggest you try to convince your teachers to take advantage of the new media to change their teaching procedures instead. I know, it's a tough task, teachers can be very conservative people sometimes.blinker

Joseph