2.5 no completions showing of SCORM in IE

2.5 no completions showing of SCORM in IE

by Bill McNamara -
Number of replies: 7

Hi all - I haven't seen a direct question like this, but I apologize if this was discussed previously.  I pay to have our site hosted and they recently upgraded us from 2.4 to 2.5.  I use the Formal White theme.  I publish SCORM 1.2 from Articulate and all completions were tracked beautifully in the gradebook, until we upgraded to 2.5.  Now completions will not show in IE9 (we are a state agency and are forced to use IE9 for a while).  I try putting IE9 in compatibility view, but it still doesn't track any completions.  Completions still track in Firefox. Any ideas? Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill McNamara

Re: 2.5 no completions showing of SCORM in IE

by Bill McNamara -

Hi - Okay, I already figured something out that is related to this.  Evidently for IE, I still need to add the meta tag to the theme (in General.php) that puts the site in IE8 (document standard).  BUT, with Moodle 2.5, a lot of the icon graphics in the course menus do not work!  However, the courses still track.  So, for the state workers that need to use IE9, the courses will track, but the menu icons are screwed up.  It appears to be new icons that are used in Moodle 2.5.  Anybody run into this?  

Thanks, Bill

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

yeah - that IE 9 issue is a pain... and because it requires the meta tag in a certain place in the header there's no easy way for us to programmatically add it - I haven't seen the icon graphic issue though - can't help there sorry! - you could try contracting a Moodle Partner to help diagnose it.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Bill McNamara -

Thanks Dan.  Remote Learner is already my host, but they've basically told me to use Mozilla or Chrome.  However, at this state agency, everyone is stuck on IE 9. 

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you can fund the time for a developer to fix the issue you should be able to ask Remote Learner to take a closer look but if you're unable to help fund any effort then your options are quite limited sad

by Amy Groshek -
Hi Bill,

According to your support case your organization was asked to review the site content before upgrade, to make sure there were no problems. Your organization approved the upgrade at that time. In the future you probably want to review your content in IE9, if you have users who cannot use other browsers.

The SVG icon issue occurs because the browser is running in IE8 mode. IE8 does not support SVG icons, and Moodle does not appear to be designating fallbacks. Apparently IE9 in IE8 mode does not present the right cues to Moodle to serve the non-SVG image. Another user also turned it up here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=223136

With regard to the content scaling issue, you may want to try some of the solutions proposed by Articulate:
http://www.articulate.com/support/presenter-09/flash-movie-does-not-scale-properly-in-published-presentation

Additionally, if you are able to designate ActionScript3 rather than ActionScript2 for your content authoring, that will result in a SWF that does not use fscommand() and therefore doesn't present the Flash bug which necessitates the meta tag that's causing your troubles:
https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=2928139

Regards,
Amy
In reply to Amy Groshek

by Bill McNamara -

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, thankfully R-L has the sandbox now to test things.  We did this, but guess what?  At just around the time of our upgrade our agency finally went from IE8 to IE9 (we just recently also went from Windows XP to Win 7...ah yes, government work!).

So, it sounds like there isn't a resolution since I have to leave it in IE8 document mode to get it to track SCORM completions.  I found this on the Articulate site:

Since Presenter ’09 generated content is published for Flash Player 6, ActionScript 3.0 is not supported.

Looks like I'll have to upgrade to Presenter '12...ahhh!  Thanks for the insight and time!

Wait, I just found this: Update 9 (6.3.1303.2214) was released March 22, 2013:

• Fixed issue where content wouldn't track properly in an LMS or Articulate Online when viewed in Internet Explorer 10

Perhaps this will do something with IE9.  I'll try it and let you know..thanks again.

Bill