Lesson Development?

Lesson Development?

yazan Loughborough College -
Yanıt sayısı: 18

Does any one know of anybody doing any development work on the the Lesson tool.

We are currently investigating making some changes.

Loughborough College yanıt olarak

Re: Lesson Development?

yazan Joseph Rézeau -
Core developers 'ın resmi Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Plugin developers 'ın resmi Testers 'ın resmi Translators 'ın resmi

As far as I know, there is currently no development being done on the Lesson activity. Unlike the Quiz activity, which has a dedicated maintainer (Tim Hunt) and a very active community of users, the Lesson activity has not had a dedicated maintainer for a number of years. It would need a complete re-writing, with Moodle HQ assigning resources to the task.

Joseph

Joseph Rézeau yanıt olarak

yazan Minh-Tam Nguyen -

Hi Joseph, 

are you suggesting that people be cautious in spending too much time on customisations to the lesson module now, because it might be rewritten "soon", or is this a veiled suggestion for someone in the community to pick this up? 

Thanks, 

Minh-Tam

Minh-Tam Nguyen yanıt olarak

yazan Joseph Rézeau -
Core developers 'ın resmi Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Plugin developers 'ın resmi Testers 'ın resmi Translators 'ın resmi

Hi Minh-Tam,

There is no word of caution or any veiled suggestion in my post. gözkırpıyor

I am only a) stating the fact that for a number of years the Lesson activity has been lacking a dedicated maintainer and b) expressing the wish that Moodle HQ will acknowledge that resources should be allocated to the re-writing of this very useful but ageing activity.

Joseph

yazan Carlos Adriano Cardoso -

I've been studying the Lesson resource in order to develop an extra interface to give to Lesson's creator more possibilities to control the page style, as background color, to increase the control of the font type, size and colors of answers, and so on, but in a independent way of theme. Lesson is an amazing Moodle's resource but, lack a bit flexibility to become an wonderfull authoral tool.  Where i could find code documentation about Lesson? Thanks.

Carlos Adriano Cardoso yanıt olarak

yazan Helen Foster -
Core developers 'ın resmi Documentation writers 'ın resmi Moodle HQ 'ın resmi Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Plugin developers 'ın resmi Testers 'ın resmi Translators 'ın resmi

Regarding code documentation, I just tried searching the dev docs - http://docs.moodle.org/dev/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=lesson - however I expect the information will be very out-of-date.

Helen Foster yanıt olarak

Thanks, it will help a lot gülüyor

yazan Isabelle Langeveld -

Dear Carlos,

I am very curious how you are doing with your dev plans. What you want to do sounds great. I also think the Lesson is a great tool. One could almost use it as an authoring tool like Lectora if you are a bit creative...

Okay I am exaggerating now. But a little more options in formatting would be wonderful

Isabelle Langeveld yanıt olarak

Hi Isabelle,

I've been around the Lesson code, but, still trying understand the relations between functions, fields and files. The lack of a consistent documentation not help much and make me waste  time in a process to trying and error to adjust code here and there. Right now I am trying to change the 'jumpto' property of the Lesson, to offer possibilities of the Lesson to jump for  Lesson others pages on the same course. I know i could  just set an link inside on text area, but, I would like to see how Lesson could work if it could jump to diferent directions. Any help would be welcome!

Regards,

Adriano

yazan Joseph Rézeau -

Carlos "Right now I am trying to change the 'jumpto' property of the Lesson, to offer possibilities of the Lesson to jump for  Lesson others pages on the same course."

If you mean you want to offer the possibility to jump from one Lesson page to a page within another Lesson, that is going to be difficult to achieve, and, IMHO, quite "disorienting" for the students. I fail to see the rationale here.

Joseph

Hi Joseph, I am trying to build some kind of knowledge architecture with several Learning Object based on Lessons, combining contents and  questions/answers in o network of Lessons. The goal is to offer kind of free navegation through several content all related, to offer the flavour of web navigation. But this free navegation would have a block to help the student to know what he already visited, and Q/A would help also to cover some mandatory domain or to detect if the student know some previous knowledge. The network is based in a concept map of one domain, almost trying to do on ontology of domain. To alter the jumpto, I working in the locallib.php file. Does it look much impossible?  

yazan Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your reply, now I understand better your goal. I am not saying that what you want to do is impossible to implement, but certainly ambitious and difficult. I'll be happy to follow your progress and test it if you can give me an access to an online test site.

Tudo de Bom,

Joseph

yazan Mark Andrews -

Hi all,

I'm sure I heard at the recent UK moot that moodle HQ we're going to look at the lesson module again with a view to re-factoring and updating it - giving it some love.

On that note, i've just come across Versal, which seems to have a nice editing interface and set of 'wigets' something along these lines might be worth a look either as an alternative or for getting ideas from.

https://versal.com/getting-started

Mark

Mark Andrews yanıt olarak

yazan Joseph Rézeau -

Mark "I'm sure I heard at the recent UK moot that moodle HQ we're going to look at the lesson module again with a view to re-factoring and updating it - giving it some love."

If that is true, then it's very good news. The Moodle Lesson module has suffered too long from "abandon" from Moodle HQ developers.

Joseph

yazan Michael Hughes -
Core developers 'ın resmi Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Plugin developers 'ın resmi

Yes, as an attendee and a contributor to the discussion at the UK Moot14 Hackfest there was a *very* interesting discussion about the Lesson module, its focus and purpose, as well as lots of ideas about how it could work better.

There results of said conversation are at http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Hackfest_UK_2014#Lesson_activity_module_reboot 

I'm certainly interested in working on this but at the moment it's currently more of a discussion about what needs to be done to it, than having a concrete plan (yet).

Michael Hughes yanıt olarak

yazan Marije Stegeman -

Hello, interesting discussion. We are using the Lesson module very much. It's the main part of all our courses! Each lesson consists of content pages and lots of question pages. To each question page is attached a pdf-file with theory to be learned. In the 'lesson activity refactoring notes'  I read that you are planning a survey to see what current users want. I'd like to be involved and be able to share our wishes and reflect on ideas about changes in the lesson module. How can I make sure that we will be part of the discussion? Marije Stegeman

Marije Stegeman yanıt olarak

yazan Erick French -

Fantastic!  I would love to be involved in helping improve the lesson module.  I use lessons for large numbers of straight pages.  Sometimes a lesson will have 40 pages.   I have thousands of pages of material in 20 courses.

I would like to see better page completion navigation, word import, full lesson printing, and end of lesson jumps to exams and or the next lesson.  I would love to see the lesson completion page be completely redesigned or have the option to skip to the next lesson without seeing the completion page. 

Thank you,

Erick French

Michael Hughes yanıt olarak

Lesson is for sure one of most interesting tool on the Moodle! I have been using it a lot ! Is so interesting all statistics and resource available on it and how we  can follow the learning process with it. The jump systems could be expanded. Wish I could contribute to the improvement of Lesson. I am sure that Lesson is a tool that can add adaptability of the content offer to different learners's need.