Make Conditional Activity Visible

Make Conditional Activity Visible

by Whitney Lowe -
Number of replies: 4

Is there a way to make a conditional activity visible automatically (and immediately) after the student has submitted an assignment without the instructor having graded the assignment. I would like to have some pre-designed feedback on assignments be available immediately after the student turns in the activity without waiting for me to send it back to them manually.

Thanks in advance,

Whitney

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Whitney Lowe

Re: Make Conditional Activity Visible

by John Gifford -

If you use student completion tracking I think the answer is yes. Student completion tracking has to be enabled on the server first then individually in each activity. You can set the assignment to be considered 'complete' when certain conditions are met. With assignments this includes viewing, receiving a grade and making a submission.

You then set your conditional activity so that it appears not when a certain grade has been awarded but when the assignment is considered 'complete'. Of course if you want it to be graded as well then the assignment can be changed so that completion depends on the student receiving a grade.

To the student a tick box appears on the right hand side of the task, dashed if it's conditional and a tick appears if the task is considered complete. Hope that helps

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by John Gifford -

Additionally, be aware, that if you use completion tracking then once a task/activity has these set AND at least 1 student is considered to have completed it, then changing the completion settings is by default locked out and not recommended to be changed, changes will eradicate the students progress for that task.

I've started using this technique for badge awards that don't really exist in my version of Moodle v2.4.5. The badge shows up when the student is considered to have completed the task. I've also found that Completion seems to rely on assignments having their time limits expire, so it won't be an immediate thing for the feedback to appear, if there's still "time on the clock" for the assignment.

In reply to John Gifford

by Whitney Lowe -

Hi John:

Thanks very much for that information as it will be quite helpful. These course activities are for "rolling" assignments in that the students aren't in a class but spread out all over the country and are taking the course at many different times. The assignments don't have completion dates on them so that is not an issue. However, because of this rolling completion process, I can certainly see how it could become a problem if I ever attempted to change settings with the completion tracking for all the people who had previously completed their course activities.

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by John Gifford -

Glad to be of help Whitney...

You can tell if the student completion tracking is on by the fact that activities show up with one of 2 ticks beside it. A solid boxed tick means the student can say "I've completed this..." that's the default for the activity too. While a dashed box means certain criteria have to be met to complete e.g viewed, submitted etc. forums can even be set with a min number of posts. The 3rd option is to turn it off for the activity so it's not recorded. Once on though you can then use completion tracking in the conditional access. If you're the admin then you can turn on completion tracking in the Settings->Site admin->Advanced Features, then it's enabled for each activity individually.

In my case I'm trying to use it with a badge system I'm trying to construct (2.4.5 doesn't really support badges and I don't want to change to 2.5 or 2.6 yet as I changed up from 1.9 last summer. These badges are also totally in house so means nothing outside). 
The badge link is invisible until the student "completes" the work, then they get the link and get awarded the badge when they click the link, it opens a popup that inserts their student ID, course ID and badge ID into a DB table while displaying the badge itself. The table is then read by some more php code at the top of the course page that fills out a "medal box" table showing the badges they've collected for the course, like the openbadges backpack but entirely in the course. 

Works quite well, but it needs a lot before I can think of trying to foist it onto the teachers. wink