How to show progress in Computing lessons

by Michael Harrington -
Number of replies: 5

[school is attempting to improve to Good]

Hello,

I need some advice please on how to show progress for “ofsted” in my computing lessons. 

I have been told that my current evidence of progress is not acceptable. This is feedback by Marking on Moodle, digital marksheets or email feedback for both  KS3 and KS4. Not on paper,

I have been teaching and marking all KS3 and KS4 work on the PC, in digital format where they save their work in their own folders.  I have used Moodle for 6 years, they upload their work and I mark it using the standard Moodle assessment module.  All KS4 work is digital and the moderator is happy to have it on-line so I always mark pupils digital version of their work and give then feedback on a spreadsheet they can read.   I have never printed much as there was no point and it is a complete waste of pupils time to have a full class try to print on one printer!

Most of the computing lesson I do cannot be marked on paper, programming in smallBasic, HTML, Scratch, Google Apps, Flash, Fireworks, etc.   – they are mostly interactive, I need to see the program run or the website link, etc.  For example, I ask them to upload a completed program to Moodle, I can then run it and check it meets the objectives. I then give written feedback in digital format in the Moodle assessment module .   For my Google drive/ Gmail unit of work this term they sent me their work by email and I replied with the schools formative marking  sheet, but by email not on paper.

I have been told I should have paper booklets or folders full of their work, marked so I can show Ofsted Pupils progress over the year.....

I do not want to go "backwards" to printing out, students working on paper and me marking paperwork (following the new marking standards which assume work is on paper)

I am trying to think of a quick fix compromise, where I can satisfy this how to “show pupil progress” by creating a generic digital booklet, with sections for each program to be pasted or screen shots of PC work or paste in their emails, etc.   Maybe a section for evaluation &, feedback. I will have to ask them to fill each section  in each lesson.  I could then print out these unit booklets to put in their currently  empty folders...

What do other Computing teachers do to meet this “good lesson” requirement?  You can probably tell from the tone of this message that I do not want to create myself lots of extra work or the students waste time printing out copies of old work just so I can show these now full folders to the SLT.

I do not have a head of IT, just a new faculty head of business who has no IT experience  and just wants me to follow the school policy. I am a Computing teacher who try's to make the lessons exciting and  teach the New National curriculum not the old one.

I am going to get advice from other senior teachers at my school but first I was hoping to get some feedback so I am fully aware of what I really need to do and what I should be prepared to do.

Any advice or resources would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Harrington

Re: How to show progress in Computing lessons

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I know that this doesn't help your problem, but this is additional evidence of the contemptible nature of Ofsted inspection. It sounds like you are being very innovative and doing an excellent job of making your lessons interesting.  My opinion of Ofsted can be summarised by a quote from its current head who said

"If anyone says to you that 'staff morale is at an all-time low' you know you are doing something right."

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jan/23/chief-inspector-schools-michael-wilshaw

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Paula Clough -

Michael,

You have my sympathy as you are doing innovative work but are stuck with evaluators who want to see things with paper either because they don't understand technology or they themselves are stuck with criteria that they have to stick to.  Been there.  Don't quit doing your innovative work but am sorry that whatever you do, you will probably have to print out things for them.  Here are a couple of possibilities for creating a set of files or a portfolio for your student's work:

• A database can be set up where students upload their files to and use them as a place to put the feedback files you have returned to them.  With some creative categories, etc. the entries can be sorted by student or assignment etc.  If you click that the entry must be approved to show up and don't approve any of the entries or post to the entries, students will not be able to see each others entries, but you as teacher can see them all.
  • the same activity can be set up by you but hidden from students where you can upload a copy of the student's feedback.  Students will not have access.   These database entries could also hold screen shots saved as png files.

Either of these suggestions, you could give the evaluators Non Editing Teachers in the activity so they can see the files.

If you have time to do it and have a server, you can set up a Mahara and Moodle portfolio system.

Paula cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Doug Moody -

I am a National Board certified teacher in the USA who has been using Moodle for some time, and while I am not under Ofsted (whatever that is, but I assume it is a national oversight educational board), we do have something called Common Core Standards. The good and bad of that is that although it is a national initiative, it is left to the states how to implement it, and, it is even left to the local counties to administer how best to implement it locally.

That said, I still have to answer to local officials, and many of them, including the school principal, do not understand how I do thing digitally, including assigned work. The vast majority of teachers are still seen in the morning running off paper copies in the lounge.The principal has even stated that he wants to see a paper attendance record book. I use a spreadsheet instead and will beg forgiveness instead of permission on that one.

Anyway, I sort of do see the point of Ofsted in wanting a paper trail. They do have to put something in a folder somewhere for their OWN records to prove their teachers are performing. So that makes some sense. Digital media comes and goes too quickly and is sometimes inaccessible by the common people. So paper is still a good evidence. But you can use that to your advantgage. You didn't say, but knowing the manager's needs of paper, could you and them compromise by you showing them something that is easy for you to produce yet is acceptable to them? Something perhaps with URL links in it to show the actual digital performances?

by dawn alderson -

Michael, hi

I agree with Paula, to be honest.

But...page one: the quality of provision at the SCHOOL is being inspected and you are an element of that...perspective is key-whatever the outcome- a healthy action plan from the head and governors enables movement forward...then everyone off to the pub smile

The following link:www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/ict-schools-2008-11 it includes some detail for you from Ofsted...2008-2011... most recent so it seems...bottom of page 36-48 maybe useful for you, and worth printing off and storing in desk drawer as a point of reference with inspection one-to- one chat...shows you are keen!

hope helpful

Dawn

In reply to dawn alderson

by Michael Harrington -

Dawn

Thank you for your advice and suggestions. I have printed out the report!

I am going to try a few and I feel much more confident I will be able to deliver an ofsted "good lesson" and an interesting one (which I know are synonymous)

Your time and ideas are appreciated.

Michael