Moddle External database authentication user role

Moddle External database authentication user role

by Rajendra Kandpal -
Number of replies: 6

Hello All,

I want integrate moodle for login(SSO) with other application, i have used external database authentication for this purpose, i hope this is the right way of integrating with other application?

Now when the user logs into the moodle through external db authentication i want to set set a user role for his session and save this role for future logins.

I am unable to find any reference for such case, can anyone please guide how can i implement this?

Thanks & Regards

Rajendra

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rajendra Kandpal

Re: Moddle External database authentication user role

by Rajendra Kandpal -

Hello All,
Also would like to confirm when a user is authenticated from external database, than what is the role of authenticated user and how can i set the user role during authentication?

Please help!

Thanks & Regards

Rajendra

by Jordi Pujol-Ahulló -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

One thing is authentication and other thing is enrolment.

By authentication plugin, you allow a user to log in to your moodle. You should have another database plugin enrolment where you detail the role of a user per course.

If you want a site-wise role, you should do it manually as administrator.

Best,

Jordi

In reply to Jordi Pujol-Ahulló

by Rajendra Kandpal -

Thanks for reply Jordi,

Is it possible with external database enrollment plugin; -

1) at the time of enrollment can we create a category for a course and enroll a user as manager into that category?

OR

2) If we can't create a category, can we enroll user as manager into existing category 

Insights; - I am integrating LMS with my other application where i have a user as sub - admin, so i want that user to be authenticated and enrolled into a course category as manager and set all course related tasks

Seeking guidance, please help, how can we achieve this

Thanks & Regards

Rajendra

by Rajendra Kandpal -

Anyone please....any idea??
how the above mentioned can be achieved??

Thanks & Regards

Rajendra

by Jordi Pujol-Ahulló -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

Default database enrolment plugin only allows a per-course enrolment, but not on a category basis.

You can develop your own enrolment plugin working on a per-category basis, from the data appearing in external database. I googled for a while and found nothing similar to what you need.

Or, otherwise, enrol a user to all courses listed on that category, what external database enrolment plugin allows to do.

Hoping this helps,

Jordi

In reply to Jordi Pujol-Ahulló

by Rajendra Kandpal -

Thanks for reply and time,

I'll figure it out how it can be done, besides can you or anyone guide me how do i set my course index page

when i land on it as an manager for a category say A, it shows me all the other list of category which is what i don't want, what i want is on a course index page the user should see only the category he/she is enrolled in, right now its showing all the categories where a user is not enrolled

can anyone guide please??

Thanks & Regards

Rajendra