Change language and also change to translated content of the front page

Change language and also change to translated content of the front page

by Bee Bell -
Number of replies: 10

I have translated the content of the font page of an experimental Moodle site and I would like to know what to do so when a student changes the language from English (default) to Spanish, the whole front page and not only the titles of some of the blocks come up in my translated content.

What has to be done to allow this change?

I have also a question why the Calendar does not change the name of the month to the corresponding language?

I would appreciate a prompt answer. Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bee Bell

Re: Change language and also change to translated content of the front page

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You need to switch on the multilang filter (search the forums for more details)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Bee Bell -

Where do I place the translated text? What do you mean by multilang filter? Where is it?

Moodle is intalled in a server and I do not have access to the php code. For everything I need to do like adding a new module or the aspell (not working) I need to give precise instructions to the IT person that is handlng this, please. 

Can you be more especific for a person that does not have the terminology that you use?

Thanks!

In reply to Bee Bell

by Gonzalo Fontecha -

<ESTAMOS EN CONTACTO.

PUEDE USTED ADECUAR UNA TERMINOLOGIA QUE YO PUEDA ENTENDER''

por ahora no manejo el ingles. ya aprendere.

<THANK YOU

by Bee Bell -

What happen when an answer remain unreplied in these forums. Is anyway to be sure to obtain an answer that makes sense to a person that is not an expert in PHP or the jargon that isused in these forums?

I really need to know how to have the entire front page changing to Spanish when the user clicks the Language.

Would somebody kindly provide steps by steps?

In reply to Bee Bell

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Bee, this has nothing to do with PHP. Can you please tell us which parts of documentation you don't understand? Have you found multilang filter settings?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Bee Bell -

What documentation, please? The only thing that I have gone through is the Teache Manual.

I'm not the one in charge of the installation and maintenance of Moodle on the server where Moodle is. I'm just the admin but I do not know what to tell the person that handles the installation. He wants me to tell him what to do (step by step) to have this 2 front pages in English and Spanish. I wil also need one in French soon smile

Can you help?

In reply to Bee Bell

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Bee, if you had searched the forums for 'multilang' as I suggested above you would have found a lot of stuff. wink

Here is a step by step for you.

1. As admin, go to Admin >> Configuration >> Filters.

2. Make sure the Multi-language filter is enabled (left side).

3. Go back to where you want to enter this text and enter stuff like this:

<lang lang="en">English text here</lang>
<lang lang="es">Spanish text goes here</lang>

4. If you are using the fancy HTML editor make sure you don't type this into the default display (as the code will just be displayed as above). Make sure you switch to HTML source mode first (it's this button: ed_html.gif)

5. When re-editing the text with the editor, you might find the lang tags get modified and stop working (it's a problem with how the editor handles non-standard tags). This is why in Moodle 1.5 we have changed the syntax as follows:

<span lang="en">English text here</span>
<span lang="es">Spanish text goes here</span>

by Bee Bell -
I have carefully done this and even when I'm using the HTML editor it does not work at all. This is supposed to be in English and the paragraph that follows in Spanish. Once I save (without switching to the wysiwyig editor the html tags are corrupted. However here it works smileMaybe it cannot have other tags in between

This is a paragraph and then the switch to Spanish

He seguido las instrucciones con todo cuidado y aún cuando estoy usando el editor HTML esto no trabaja. Se supone que este parrafo es en castellano.
In reply to Bee Bell

by Bee Bell -

I finally was able to do this but it cannot be any other HTML tag in between. I mean tags such as paragraph begining or end (<p></p>) or line feed <br> or change font <font size="2">Bla bla</font> etc.

So it looks awful in both languages with no new paragraphs and all the text is the same.

The only tag that worked was <strong> Moodle</strong>.

Any suggestions on how to incorporate layout tags and fonts?

by ???? ????? -
Hello, I am using moodle in English and Japanese. I tried this as you instructed above but with Japanese, I get scrambled code using just "ja". If I use the other, I get scrambled English. Do I need to place code on the actual page or in the PHP somewhere for this to work right?

I would like to have my entire web site switch between English and Japanese but with no translation problems.

Are any other users haviing problems with Japanese?

Thank you,
Maty