Question bank restores to a course level context

Question bank restores to a course level context

by Chris Clark -
Number of replies: 1

Hey everyone,

I'm exporting roughly 100 courses from an old Moodle site (running 2.3) to a new one (running 2.5), each course has two quizzes populated with questions pulled from a question bank, when I back them up it appears to backup the entire question bank which i'm OK with I guess.

The issue is that during the restore the question bank is unable to be restored at the category level context (for what reason I don't know - if anyone has any insight into this it would be much appreciate) and is instead created at a course level context.

This quickly spirals out of control to a stupid amount of questions

~ 100 course  x (100 courses x 14 questions per course)

and removes the entire purpose of the question bank.

Has anyone encountered something similar or have any suggestions on how I can resolve this?

My first plan of attack (after trawling through the available settings again) is probably going to be to test if having an identically named category has any effect.

Cheers in advance for any insight!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Clark

Re: Question bank restores to a course level context

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

In the site where you are restoring, do you have permission to create category-level questions? If you do, it should create the questions there. If not they are created in the course instead.

I think.

This area of code is complex, and I can't 100% remember how it is supposed to work.