help configuring chat...

help configuring chat...

by Mike Carollo -
Number of replies: 1
I am running 1.4.5 on Fedora core.

I have the chat daemon running, but am confused with configuring the chat module on moodle.  The first time I tried I only changed it from normal to chat daemon.  On the server machine I could log into the chat and see myself and chat, but from any other machine when I try to log into it I just see white space, no users, and no chat going on.

chat_serverhost: localhost
chat_serverip: 127.0.0.1

Should I change these values?  I tried to change the ip to the machines local IP, but I dont know what would go in the serverhost name?  Should I leave these alone completely?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Carollo

Re: help configuring chat...

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
"localhost" is a special name that always means the machine you are currently using. 127.0.0.1 means the same thing.

Your server needs to have a proper IP and name (eg moodle.org) ... otherwise how can other people access your site?

If you don't have a hostname for that server, you can just use the IP in both fields.