Need help trouble-shooting Moodle 2.4 theme

Need help trouble-shooting Moodle 2.4 theme

by Liz Katz -
Number of replies: 8

I am creating my own version of a standard totara theme using the clone and customize route. I have done this once before, so it hasn't presented any major problems...until....

I am working on a MAMP install that is identical to my unix site. When the theme started to look good I wanted to take a look at it on the full site. I uploaded the theme to the site server. The install went fine. Picking the theme from the selector was not a problem. But. It isn't displaying!  It looks like the standard theme with a couple of odd pieces (a border here, a margin there) of the new theme. Using Chrome Developer tools it *looks* like my theme's styles are being ignored almost entirely. 

I've quadruple-checked that the files are in the right place. I've played with the config file--despite the fact that the theme is working fine on my local machine and it follows the other formats I've used. 

I don't know where else to look. Any ideas would be extremely appreciated!

Liz

(Edited by Mary Cooch - to clarify subject title- original submission Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 4:08 PM)

(Edited by Mary Evans - original submission Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 4:51 PM)

Reversing Mary Cooch's changes as this question is about a Moodle theme on a Moodle 2.4 site.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Liz Katz

Re: Need help trouble-shooting Totara theme

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. I have just edited your title to reflect that you are asking about a Totara theme and not a Moodle one. I have no experience of themes myself but I do know that Totara is a fork of Moodle and so I'm not sure of the level of Totara familiarity of themers here -but we will wait and seesmile (Perhaps the partner from whom you got Totara has their own support forum?) On the other hand, if it is a question of the site not recognising your uploaded theme, then that sometimes happens in Moodle too  and so you might get some suggestions (such as clearing theme caches)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Liz Katz -

Yes. I know Totara is a fork of Moodle. However, I wouldn't have posted here if I didn't believe theming worked the same way and that members could offer some useful advice to a desperate Moodle developer. .

I will bow to your greater knowledge and remove my post.  

In reply to Liz Katz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Liz! Don't remove itsmile It might be that the problem is the same for Moodlers so let's wait and see.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Liz Katz -

Okay. I have purged and cleared caches many times. Thank you.

In reply to Liz Katz

Re: Need help trouble-shooting

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Liz,

It sounds like your theme files have been corrupted.  Also I am assuming you are using Moodle 2.5, although you mentioned Totara, so can you verify what system you are actually using?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Liz Katz -

Thank you Mary!

Version 2.4+. Is there any way I can verify this. Or should I just start over on a fresh set of files?

Liz

In reply to Liz Katz

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

If the CSS is not being read that is either caused by the theme/style.php not working as it should or your theme's config.php and layout files being corrupted. By which I mean that all the spaces are removed out and the php just ends up as a very long string of gibberish.

However what I can see of your site, in the link you sent me, all seems well. Did I miss something?

Mary

In reply to Liz Katz

by Mary Evans -

This looks like is only a CSS error. Nothing drastic. Looks like you could have edited out the header image in error.

I've sent you an email explaining which file.