Quiz Timer Hack

Re: Quiz Timer Hack

by Rob Butner -
Number of replies: 11

TIMOTHY---

SOOO SORRY---I UPLOADED THE WRONG HEADER.HTML FILE---IVE ATTACHED THE CORRECT ONE HERE---GO AHEAD AND TRY TO SELECT TEXT, CNTRL C, OR PRINT WITH THIS ONE----ROB-

PS--ILL HAVE THE BACKBUTTON DISABLE IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS----

I'M GOING TO TRY TO IMPLEMENT THE CHANGES TO ATTEMPT.PHP SO THE PROTECTIONS WILL ONLY AFFEXT QUIZZES---TAKE CARE---

In reply to Rob Butner

by Joseph Vargas -

Hi there:

I tried your header file.

Somethings are working and others don't seem to be.

The right click is disabled, I can't highlight text and CTRL+C is disabled. However CTRL + P allows for printing the page.

Also, is there a way to disable "View Source" when the command options are viewable?

I am looking forward to seeing the disabled back button feature

Thanks

Joe Vargas

In reply to Rob Butner

by Joseph Vargas -

Hi Timothy:

How would I add a background image to your header?

Thanks

Joe

In reply to Joseph Vargas

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Joe Vargas

Sorry to be three weeks late in responding.

That is Rob Butner's header file not mine. I am about to install it today. I don't understand the difference between it and the other one at
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3982

By the way Chris U is no longer enrolled in this course,
or if he is, then he is enrolled under a different name so he will not hear your thanks.

Tim

Timothy Takemoto

In reply to Rob Butner

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Rob Butner

It seems that you are posting two different headers. In the header in your post above, the javascript is encoded (perhaps just into its ascii equivalent), whereas in the header you posted a few days later at...

(Here I realise that your hack is so effective that I can no longer use copy functionality. This is going to be quite a problem! How do I get copy and paste functionality back!)

Phew, I managed to bring this here by dragging and dropping the flavicon for the other forum discussion.

http://moodle.org/file.php/5/moddata/forum/121/17556/header.html

This forum, posted on the 5th of December, contains an ascii (?) encoded javascript header.

The one you posted on the 10th of december on its own tread, you can see the javascript. Is the only difference between the two the fact that the second one is not ascii encoded?

Tim
Timothy Takemoto

PS Any word about a backbutton disable feature?

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Rob Butner -

Timothy-

As you have found---the header that is encrypted really does do alot of protection, it diables printing, disables storing the page in cache, kills the CNTRL+C, CNTRL+P, disables Adobe Acrobat Image to text capture, disables the ability to select text with the mouse, disables the clipboard, and disables right click. The problem with implementing the protection in the header.html, is the protection is site-wide. Therefore, if we want to offer a printable worksheet or handout, we have to create it in Adobe Acrobat, and offer it to students as a "resource-uploaded file".

We havent found a good way to stop a student from entering, looking at, then backing out of a test. We believe the best way to solve this is to offer the test in 1 question at a time format, requiring the student to "save answer & continue" to get the next question. That way the most they could "see" without taking the test is 1 question. One of my guys is trying to use a javascript that would force the test to be submitted automatically on browser unload, but there are many cross-browser compatibility problems.

It has been spoken of many times in this and other forums that looking to "secure" the quiz module is a flawed philosophy. The problem is, not all teachers are Social Contructivists, as much as I would like them to be. And the School has instituted a school-wide adoption of MOODLE as the elearning platform. This brings teachers to MOODLE, but still wanting to utilize their traditional pedagogies. We have found that the less you push on a teacher, the more willing the are to "explore" and "experiment" after they have basically replicated their in-classroom course to the WEB with MOODLE.

I know that the majority of institutions are not necessarily happy with WEBCT/Blackboard/e-College, but for them to choose MOODLE as a replacement (which I believe it kicks the other around) then small changes like the QUIZZES offered one question at a time MUST be implemented. It's what they're asking for---let's give it to them---

Take Care Timothy--Rob

by Rob Butner -

Timothy-

As you have found---the header that is encrypted really does do alot of protection, it diables printing, disables storing the page in cache, kills the CNTRL+C, CNTRL+P, disables Adobe Acrobat Image to text capture, disables the ability to select text with the mouse, disables the clipboard, and disables right click. The problem with implementing the protection in the header.html, is the protection is site-wide. Therefore, if we want to offer a printable worksheet or handout, we have to create it in Adobe Acrobat, and offer it to students as a "resource-uploaded file".

We havent found a good way to stop a student from entering, looking at, then backing out of a test. We believe the best way to solve this is to offer the test in 1 question at a time format, requiring the student to "save answer & continue" to get the next question. That way the most they could "see" without taking the test is 1 question. One of my guys is trying to use a javascript that would force the test to be submitted automatically on browser unload, but there are many cross-browser compatibility problems.

It has been spoken of many times in this and other forums that looking to "secure" the quiz module is a flawed philosophy. The problem is, not all teachers are Social Contructivists, as much as I would like them to be. And the School has instituted a school-wide adoption of MOODLE as the elearning platform. This brings teachers to MOODLE, but still wanting to utilize their traditional pedagogies. We have found that the less you push on a teacher, the more willing the are to "explore" and "experiment" after they have basically replicated their in-classroom course to the WEB with MOODLE.

I know that the majority of institutions are not necessarily happy with WEBCT/Blackboard/e-College, but for them to choose MOODLE as a replacement (which I believe it kicks the other around) then small changes like the QUIZZES offered one question at a time MUST be implemented. It's what they're asking for---let's give it to them---

Take Care Timothy--Rob

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob Butner

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Rob,

I think that it should be possible to include your header in "attempt.php" so that it is not site wide.

Since I am teaching language and students have a strong need to be able to copy words and paste them into dictionaries and the like, I would not be able to cope with a site wide change. I will let you know if/when I get your header into attempt.php.

I don't know how he did it but John Bristor managed to get the quiz appear in a new page without the back buttons. I was unable to get back out of it. If there is no right click or alt key then the vast majority of my students would be foxed.

I have still not managed to find the part of moodle where people click the "attempt test" button, but when I do, it should be a simple matter to have it open in a new window with no back button.

As for "the flawed philosophy"...yes, my philosophy may well be flawed but umm...perhaps we need a philosophy of moodle course? One day.

Thanks again to you and your associates for a wicked (i.e. very useful) hack!

Tim

Timothy Takemoto

by Indjana Dzons -

Timothy, here are my quick hacks for those. Header not site-wide: I've put just one line in all header.html files in the subfolders of theme folder, it says
<?php include("..\common.php") ?> right after <head> tag. And the common.php is only one line long in my case (more if's for more protected pages):
if (stristr($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME']."X", "attempt.phpX")) {

include("blockit.html"); }

This easy way I can control what pages have the protection. Would be tedeous to update header.html lines when new version comes though. I think such a common header part functionality would be useful and should be considered as a standard feature so that we could easily make slight modifications to individual headers in one place.

Back button problem: the new window trick works fine for me. I've includeed the modified mod/quiz/view.php which does that. Easy to do but read the comments at the top of it please.

All my tricks are quick and dirty so be careful.
Good luck!
PS. Does anybody have an idea for a moodle hack to prevent students to take pictures of test pages on screen with their cellular phones equipped with digital cameras???

In reply to Indjana Dzons

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
What most people do is burn out their students eyes with red-hot pokers - this makes it harder for them to aim their camera-phones. black eye wink

Sorry, was that too sarcastic? I'll be good now.  smile
In reply to Indjana Dzons

by Timothy Takemoto -
Dear Indjana Dzons,
Thanks a lot for your "not site wide" functionality above. I have it in place and it seems to work very well.

I am a bit scared about using the new view.php mainly since it involves changes outside of my themes folder and I will soon be upgrading moodle again. But perhaps I will in the future. Thanks very much.

I guess that it would prevent people from saving the page since the menu bars do not exist in the new window.

Tim