Hyperlinking forum to an image gives mixed results per users

Hyperlinking forum to an image gives mixed results per users

by Janet Underwood -
Number of replies: 3

I've created a label that is displayed on my course's page under the lesson description (typically 12 lessons per course). The label holds seven graphics that represent different elements of the course (lesson, quiz, assignment, links, printerfriendly version, faqs, and forum). After arranging these graphics in the label, I open the element (such as lesson), copy its URL, and then edit the label, hyperlinking the appropriate graphic to the URL. I then hide the text line that directs people to the same element. I've already hyperlinked all of the lessons and printerfriendly versions in 4 courses to their respective graphics in the lable and hid the text lines, then changed my role to Student, and it's been working very well. For the Links that I'm providing for the course, I added a page and then entered the links on that page, hyperlinking the Links graphic to that page, and as with the lesson and the printerfriendly lesson, hid the page. Again, no problems.

Now, we come to the forums. I've created forums for each lesson in each course. I open the forum, copy its URL, and then hyperlink the graphic in the label to that URL. I thought it was working as well as the others, but then, I discovered that when I changed my role to Student, a page opened that said that activity was hidden. It appears that the only way a student can see the forum is if the text line is visible, which defeats the purpose of hyperlinking the forum to the graphic.

To see if this was impossible to do with forums, I changed my role to others as well. In the Manager, Teacher, and NonEditing Teacher roles, the hyperlinked graphic works perfectly. In the Course Creator, Student, and Guest roles, a page opens saying this activity is hidden.

Now, remember that the text line is hidden on the course page, but even though that line is hidden, some roles can still see the forum while others can't.

I tried to use this information to determine what settings I need to change so students can access the forum by clicking the graphic with the text line hidden, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Can anyone help? I've seen some articles about using "Stealth mode," but I'm not sure how that works. Thank you.

J. Underwood  

Attachment error message.jpg
Attachment sample label.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Janet Underwood

Re: Hyperlinking forum to an image gives mixed results per users

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hidden resources are not generally accessible to students, although they are to teachers/admins/etc. This means that the links you provide should not work for students, for any of the resources. To test this try logging on as a student account rather than using the 'Switch role to'

An alternative is to add the resources to a 'spare' section of your course (the last section) and then rather than using the 'eye' icon to hide it, tell the course settings to show one less section. The result is that the section is not shown to students, but the resources and activities in it are still available through the links you have created.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Janet - yes  -what Richard says in his second paragraph is the way most people go. See number 7 of Course FAQ

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Janet Underwood -

Thank you for your response, Richard! I've read about doing this in other places, including the reference Mary suggests, but for some reason, it never "sunk in" like it did when I read your post. Also, thank you for the heads up about not trusting what I see when I switch roles too much.