Display number of topics in each course?

Display number of topics in each course?

by Chris Armstrong -
Number of replies: 9

I have set up a series of courses successfully as shown below:

Course Categories

When I click on Entry 1, I get this screen:

Entry 1 ESOL Courses

Is there a way to display the number of topics for each course next to the i symbol?

Chris Armstrong

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Armstrong

Re: Display number of topics in each course?

by Stuart Mayor -
It should be pretty easy to do what you want.
What version of Moodle are you using? Also, where is that view generated from? Is it within the Course block or on the actual course window? I can't get a screen that looks like your's so I assume you are using a different version of Moodle.

If you give me the address of the pages you took those screenshots from (e.g moodle/course/category.php), I'll have a go at writing something for you.
In reply to Stuart Mayor

by Chris Armstrong -

Thanks for getting back to me.  I am going to take your comments to my team leaders who I am meeting on Friday.

I can see what they say and then post back.

Thanks once again,

Chris Armstrong.

by Widad Rakhyoot -

Hi Chris,

This is a question more than an answer to your question. I am trying to put a similar structure to yours. I am working on writing a formative assessment where students can choose from 4 Language skills (Grammar, reading, listening, and vocabulary) to attempt. Inside each skill, they can choose the level (beginners, Intermediate or advance). Inside the level they can attempt questions. How can I do this in Moodle???

Best regards,

Widad

In reply to Widad Rakhyoot

by Chris Armstrong -

You need to write a quiz.  You could use the Moodle quiz, with the instructions on here on how to do it :

http://moodle.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=3968

or personally I prefer using the free Quiz Faber that can be downloaded here -

http://www.lucagalli.net/

Good luck!  I hope this helps you.

Chris

by Judite Lucas -

Hi, Chirs.

Are you still around moodle.org? I saw this post about using QuizFaber... Have you ever managed in uploading QuizFaber to Moodle and having it work from there?

Judite Lucas

In reply to Judite Lucas

Using QuizFaber or Hot Potatoes, was Re: Display number of topics in each course?

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Judite,

Chris no longer subscribes to Using Moodle.

I've never used QuizFaber but if it will create a Scorm package you can integrate it into Moodle.

You want a more teacher friendly alternative to the Moodle Quiz, you could try Hot Potatoes: it's fully integrated into Moodle through the HotPot Module (scores appear in the gradebook) and the version for Moodle 2.0 will soon be ready.

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: Using QuizFaber or Hot Potatoes, was Re: Display number of topics in each course?

by Judite Lucas -

Hi there, Glenys.

Thanks for your reply. I also use HotPotatoes, but the output of QuizFaber is much more attractive, more "professional-like". Besides, we can choose different types of questions in the same file (multiple choice, filling in the gaps, short answer...), while in HotPotatoes we have to create different files, using different "Potatoes". It would just be so great if QuizFaber could be integrated into Moodle the same way Hot Potatoes is...

But I suppose we can't have the best of both worlds.

Warm regards,

JLucas

In reply to Judite Lucas

Re: Using QuizFaber or Hot Potatoes, was Re: Display number of topics in each course?

by Ger Tielemans -

Did you look at the free open source Xerte from Nottingham University as a tool for this?

I looked at QuizFaber but must say that it is very, very simple if you compare it with Moodle's own quiz or the results from other products.
It contains also several flaws:

• If you offer a m.c. question with only one coorect answer, you should use radio buttons, not chekboxes
  • There is no room for feedback for the student (a big disadvantage)
  • You cannot set the debriefing for students (too rich in Moodle?)
  • the editor looks like hot potatoes, but offers less options. (maybe that makes it atractive for starters?)
  •  
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi there,

Just went and had a look at Xerte and it does do some nice things Hot Potatoes doesn't do and I haven't found in other free applications:

• labelling "hot spots"
  • sorting items into categories

When I have time, I'll give it a go.

Thanks, Ger.

Cheers,

Glenys