Setting up e-mail in Mac OS X 10.3

Setting up e-mail in Mac OS X 10.3

by Najah Noor -
Number of replies: 8
I have been unable to get Moodle to send mail. I don't know where sendmail is located on Mac OS X or how to configure Moodle to use it. Please advise. Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Najah Noor

Re: Setting up e-mail in Mac OS X 10.3

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Najah,
If you are using OS X 10.3 (client, not server version), then you will have to activate Postfix (sendmail is no longer used in OS X 10.3). Get the software called Postfix Enabler ($10) and follow its instructions. You might also go to the Mac OS X installation wiki for more hints. You may also have a problem with your cron.  Let us know how it goes.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Robert Brenstein -
I am running under 10.3.8 and had no problems to get the cron working once I figured out what the cron parameters mean and found on this forum that I need curl instead of wget. I also stumbled with making cron quiet:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=22342

With regards to activating email service, something to watch for are firewalls and isp rules (you, Najah, did not provide any info on your invironment unfortunately). More and more places block private smtp (mail) servers to fight the spam. So even if you get postfix working, you may not be able to send the mail out.

If you are at any institution that already has mail service, it will be simpler to just use their service for sending mail out. All you need to do is to enter their ip address in moodle config. You may also have to create a custom mail account there for authentication if they don't want to set their server to recognize your moodle as trusted sender. You may want to do it anyway to have a generic email address for administration.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Najah Noor -
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help. Piecing together the various bits of advice I was able to get Moodle to send mail. Thanks again. big grin
In reply to Najah Noor

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Najah,
What was the problem?  (this is helpful for us to know for advising in the future)

by Daryl Hawes -
Don, it might be noted that the Mac OS X installation wiki has been spammed about 6 times over again.
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Daryl,
Have you sent in a bug report? I think this wiki app is an very old version that Martin set up several years ago before we had a wiki module.

by Daryl Hawes -
No I did not. For some reason I assumed you had access to it to revert back to a previous version.
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Don Hinkelman -
OK, I have reported it.  Bug #3323 - Installation Wiki Spammed.  I think a regular Moodle-wiki will work better than this old PHPWiki.