Moodle 2.5: group assignment submission button not available

Moodle 2.5: group assignment submission button not available

by Marc Couture -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

A colleague has reported what seems to be a bug in how group assignments are handled by Moodle 2.5.2, when all student group members are required to submit.

To replicate the bug:

1. Create groups in a course (for example, two groups with two students in each group)
  2. Add an assignment to the course, with the following parameters:

Submission types: select File submissions
Under Submission settings:
- Require students click submit button: Yes
Under Group submission settings:
- Students submit in groups: Yes
- Require all group members submit: Yes

Now, connect using Student #1 in Group #1 and upload a file. First clue there is something weird going on: there is no button to submit the assignment for grading.

Connect as Student #2 in Group #1: a submit button is present.  Click on the button to submit.

Lastly, connect again as Student #1 in Group #1. There is (still) no submit button to be seen.

The teacher's view is telling:

- The "Status" column shows that team members have submitted for grading, but not the original file uploader;
- The "Group submission" column says "Draft (not submitted)" for all students;
- Files are visible for all students under the "File submissions" column.

Anyone have a clue on what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marc Couture

Re: Moodle 2.5: group assignment submission button not available

by Marc Couture -

Anyone?

In reply to Marc Couture

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Marc

I have tested the case but when i tried to submit the assignment by student1 in group1 i am getting an submit assignment button to submit it but when i access from Student2 in group1 account i had not get any submit button the only button is to edit the submission and then submit it.

This is default behaviour submitting assignment in group means you are assigning one work to many so that they do that one assignment in group and submit it. but you are using all group members to submit the assignment that why once a student in a group submits a assignment, the other who access it afterwards only get the edit link but not to submit a fresh assignment again.

I think it is correct.  

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Educational Technology Leaders LLC -

Hi Sakshi,

My name is Francisco, thanks for taking a look to this issue. I think Marc is experiencing the same issue that we are having in some sites. In the assignment settings, it is possible to select "Require students click submit button". Once this setting is enabled, you can select "Require all group members submit" to "yes", therefore if enabled, all members of the student group must click the submit button for this assignment before the group submission will be considered as submitted. If disabled, the group submission will be considered as submitted as soon as any member of the student group clicks the submit button.

As Marc states, the first student never get the submit button after a file is uploaded. However, the second students can see the "Submit assignment" button, but what we have experienced is; if the second student edit the assignment and save it, the "Submit assignment" button disappears also. (***Marc, do you experience the same?). Therefore after the students edit the files, none of them can submit the assignment.

I have a testing site where I can reproduce the issue. I will happy to share student usernames in order to test it.

Thanks

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Marc Couture -

As the teacher is unable to confirm a group submission for grading, I believe this remains a problem.