Multiple AD Domain Authentication

Multiple AD Domain Authentication

by Pooja Ambre -
Number of replies: 2

Hello All,

I am using Moodle 2.4.1 and need to authenticate against two different Active directory domains residing on two different servers with different domain controllers.

It's successfully authenticating against a single AD domain however I need to configure two different AD domains.Each domain has a different set of credentials to be used for binding and that is where I am facing the challenge.

Has anyone done a similar kind of setup before? If so, It would be great if you can share the procedure for setting up 2 different AD domains in Moodle with me ASAP as this is bit urgent..

Appreciate your support ..Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Pooja

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pooja Ambre

Re: Multiple AD Domain Authentication

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Wild guess ... what if one were to setup another LDAP server that syncs with the other two and then use that single LDAP server for authentications via LDAP in Moodle?

LIke I said ... 'WILD GUESS!'.

'spirit of sharing', Ken 

In reply to Pooja Ambre

Re: Multiple AD Domain Authentication

by Joshua Lyndon -
Pooja, as Ken suggests having the two domains be part of a single forest, and using a Global Catalog server as the authentication source for Moodle is probably the cleanest way to do this. There are plenty of hacked-together solutions around on the forum for adding multiple domain support, but for the most part these involve duplicating the plugins involved, and sometimes database tables, and don't handle identical usernames on these domains well (if they exist). You could also look at using SAML authentication. Adam Bradley from Microsoft has written a guide to using ADFS to provide single sign-on for Moodle. Since ADFS can have multiple sources for identification that could be useful to you. http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/3/883C0889-72A8-4766-8D07-4BF2F048BE36/MoodleAndOffice365WithADFS.pdf I've started playing around with looking at SAML auth using simpleSAMLphp, the associated plugin for Moodle, and Azure Access Control Services. This, I think, will allow me to use Azure ACS to handle allowing login from any number of identity sources, including Office 365, Google, Facebook, Yahoo, etc. If you're familiar with those technologies you could probably configure that without much hassle.