Groups and the show non-respondents report

Groups and the show non-respondents report

by Jenny Gray -
Number of replies: 5

One of Joseph's new features in 2.5 questionnaire is the show non-respondents report which allows you to see a list of the students who haven't submitted survey answers and to send them a message.

Something we've just noticed is the way it works with groups...

• If there are no groups then any-one who can see that report can see the entire list of students on the course and message them.
  • If there are visible groups then any-one who can see that report can see the entire set of groups and each group's list of students on the course and message them.
  • If there are separate groups then any-one who can see that report can see the groups of which they are a member and each group's list of students on the course and message them.

It seems a little scary to me that any-one, like with the non-editing teacher role, would be able to see the full list of students on the course and message them.  Perhaps you should only be able to message people you're in a group with?  And maybe you shouldn't be able to see other groups member lists - but I'm not sure how that works elsewhere in Moodle.

What do others think? Should we further restrict access to the list & messaging feature?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jenny Gray

Re: Groups and the show non-respondents report

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks for pointing this out, Jenny. I'll see what we can do.

I also seem to have mixed up the "Visible" and "Separate" Groups capabilities (for students) somewhere in the course of later development, and must address this as well. blush

Joseph

In reply to Jenny Gray

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I have looked into this matter and here are my observations.

1.- The way that the "show on-respondents" report works with groups is exactly the same as with the Feedback activity. Non-editing teachers can view non-respondents from all groups and message them.

2.- I do not see how this is "scary". There are other Moodle activities where non-editing teachers can message students belonging to a group that they (non-editing teachers) do not belong to, e.g. Forum. Well, not "message" in bulk, but individually.

3.- However, if you feel this may be important in some situations, then I will try to find a way. Maybe use the "Access all groups" capability to determine what non-editing teachers (who normally do not have that capability) can see or not when a questionnaire is set to "separate groups". After all, at the moment, in that context, non-editing teachers can only view the "general stats report" of the group(s) they belong to.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Jenny Gray -

Thank you for looking into that.  I couldn't find other areas of Moodle with similar access, so it is good to know that there are other examples.  If it has been thought through before, then it is probably not as "scary" as I first thought.

In reply to Jenny Gray

by Joseph Rézeau -

I'm working on a solution and will report here soon.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hopefully fixed those problems in my recent commit to the github.

For the shownonrespondents feature to only show groups that a non-editing teacher is a member of, of course, that questionnaire's non-editing teacher capability accessallgroups must disabled.

Joseph