General help

Browser issues

Picture of Jorge Freire
Browser issues

We've recently upgraded our servers, filters and operating system, from Windows XP to Windows 7. 

We have had issues editing in Moodle (2.2.2 Build: 20120312) ever since:

• Teachers loose the settings block and can't turn editing on
  • When they can, they only see the HTML code on the WYSIWYG and loose the tools on the WYSIWYG.

We are running Google Chrome 25.01.364.172 and IE 9 (90811216321).

Has someone see something similar? Any suggestions on how we can fix it? I'm not a technical person, and I know there are a lot of variables here (filter, OS, etc.), but our Network people are lost. 

Help is very much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Jez H
Re: Browser issues
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yes we see exactly the same thing.

In our case turning off javaScript caching helped go to:

Site Administration > Appearance > Ajax and Javascript

Remove check box from "Cache Javascript"

See if that helps. If not you can try taking off "YUI combo loading" which also seemed to make a difference for us in Moodle 2.3, though in 2.4 we turned that back on and its working ok.

I hope that helps...

Picture of Jorge Freire

Hi Jez,

Thank you. Would disabling Javascript caching mean the pages would take longer to load, though?

Sketch...
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Using Windows XP or Windows 7 to host a production Moodle site that will be used by your teachers and students is a really bad idea! Those are desktop operating systems - they are not designed for hosting websites and multiple users. You need a server operating system for that, like Windows Server (or one of the various Unix server operating systems).

Picture of Jorge Freire

Hi Luis, I wasn't clear. Our Moodle installation is hosted remotely. On the client side (college), we're running Windows 7 and XP.

Rocking some shades

If turning Javascript caching off, it may just be the case that you need to purge the cache. If you visit /admin/purgecaches.php and click the button then that may solve your problem (and allow you to keep javascript caching on)

Warning though, depending on how large your site is, this may take a while. And may temporarily slow down your site.

Hope that is useful.